What type of plane is this wreck?

What type of plane is this wreck?

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

I have found this picture on MSN, with the claim that it is a P-38 somewhere at the French Riviera. However the P-38 Lightning is a twin-engined fighter, while this wreck has most probably four. What is it?

It is, in fact, a twin-engined American P38 Lightning:

That particular aircraft was shot down on 27 January 27 1944. The wreck is located in Lecques Bay at a depth of about 40 meters, about one kilometre west of Grenier Point.

The wreck was discovered in November 1996, and identified as G15-LO (serial number 43-2545) flown by 2nd Lt. Harry Greenup of 49th Squadron, 14th Fighter Group, 15th USAAF.

You can read more about it on the page Epave de l'avion P 38 Lightning aux Lecques.

The engines appear to be 'out of place' on the sea bed because the aircraft broke up on impact.

It is a popular dive site, and there are a number of videos like this example of divers exploring the wreck on YouTube.

As an interesting aside, this map of dive sites in the vicinity shows that the wrecks of two P38 Lightnings are located in the bay:

Plane crash devastates Marshall University football team

On November 14, 1970, a chartered jet carrying most of the Marshall University football team clips a stand of trees and crashes into a hillside just two miles from the Tri-State Airport in Kenova, West Virginia, killing everyone onboard.The team was returning from that day’s game, a 17-14 loss to East Carolina University. Thirty-seven Marshall football players were aboard the plane, along with the team’s coach, its doctors, the university athletic director and 25 team boosters–some of Huntington, West Virginia’s most prominent citizens–who had traveled to North Carolina to cheer on the Thundering Herd. “The whole fabric,” a citizen of Huntington wrote later, “the whole heart of the town was aboard.”

The crash was just the most tragic in a string of unfortunate events that had befallen the Marshall football team since about 1960. The university stadium, which hadn’t been renovated since before World War II, was condemned in 1962. From the last game of the 1966 season to midway through the 1969 season, the team hadn’t won any games. Making matters worse, the NCAA had suspended Marshall for more than 100 recruiting violations. (The Mid-American Conference had expelled the team for the same reason.) But Marshall seemed to be getting back on track: It had fired the dishonest coaches, built a new Astroturf field and started winning games again. The Thundering Herd had lost a squeaker to East Carolina on the 14th, and was looking forward to a promising season the next year.

For Huntington, the plane crash was “like the Kennedy assassination,” one citizen remembers. 𠇎verybody knows where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.” The town immediately went into mourning. Shops and government offices closed businesses on the town’s main street draped their windows in black bunting. The university held a memorial service in the stadium the next day and cancelled Monday’s classes. There were so many funerals that they had to be spread out over several weeks. In perhaps the saddest ceremony of all, six players whose remains couldn’t be identified were buried together in Spring Hill Cemetery, on a hill overlooking their university.

Marshall got a new football coach–Jack Lengyel, from the College of Wooster in Ohio𠄺nd set about rebuilding the team. The NCAA gave the Thundering Herd special permission to let freshmen play on the varsity squad, and Lengyel cobbled together a ragtag group of first-years, walk-ons and the nine veteran players who hadn’t been on the plane that night. The team lost its first game of the 1971 season but–with a last-second touchdown that seemed almost too good to be true�ted Ohio’s Xavier University 15-13 in its first home game since the crash. The Herd won one other game that season, and nine in Lengyel’s four-year tenure at Marshall, but none was as emotional as the first.

Aerobatic Red Bull plane crash that killed 3 captured in video

Horrifying video captured the moment an aerobatic Red Bull plane crashed during a training flight in Guatemala, killing the American pilot and two women on the ground, according to reports.

The plane was seen descending rapidly and slamming into grass and a small paved area at the Guatemala Aeroclub in Iztapa on Friday as horrified spectators looked on, the UK’s Mirror reported.

The dead flier was identified as Steve Andelin of California, a retired Boeing 787 pilot, a two-time member of the US Aerobatic Team and a winner at the US Unlimited Aerobatic Championship, according to newsairshow.com.

Johanna Passarelli de Farr and Maria Luisa Schlesinger also were killed when they were struck by the Zivko Aeronautics Edge 540 plane, News 18 reported.

“It is with great sadness that Team Chambliss confirms that our friend and pilot, Steve Andelin, along with two spectators, lost their lives at a private air show in Guatemala,” Team Chambliss said on Facebook.

“Steve Andelin was flying a plane which carried Red Bull branding, owned by Kirby Chambliss. We are deeply shocked and extend our deepest sympathies to the families involved in this tragic accident,” it added.

In 2018, Team Chambliss recognized Andelin for his “deep expertise” with the Edge 540 Red Bull Air Race Master Class plane when he crewed a race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, according to the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.

The LXV Anniversary show, scheduled for the following say, was canceled after the tragic accident.

Guatemala Aeroclub said in a statement: “We want to express our most sincere condolences and reiterate our pain to all those affected. As an association, we are already collaborating with the respective authorities carrying out the investigation into the incident.”

Civil aviation director Francis Argueta Aguirre said on Twitter: “We regret the tragic accident that occurred on Friday in Iztapa, when the professional pilot of the Chambliss team sponsored by Red Bull performed acrobatics maneuvers prior to the exhibition that was scheduled for Saturday morning.”

What type of plane is this wreck? - History

The following are significant events involving the aircraft model. The numbered events are those involving at least one passenger death where the aircraft flight had a direct or indirect role, and where at least one of the dead passengers was not a stowaway, hijacker, or saboteur.

7 December 1985 Aer Lingus 737-200 EI-ASA flight 156 Dublin, Ireland:
The aircraft was on a scheduled international flight from Dublin, Ireland, to London, England. The aircraft struck a number of birds shortly after takeoff, and one of those birds caused a complete power loss and severe damage to one engine. The crew was able to return to the departure airport, and none of the six crew members or 117 passengers were injured. None of the 88 passengers and five crew members were injured.
Aer Lingus plane crashes

28 April 1988 Aloha 737-200 N73711 flight 243 near Maui, HI: The aircraft, with 90 passengers and five crew members on board, was on a scheduled flight from Honolulu to Hilo, Hawaii. The aircraft experienced an explosive decompression and structural failure at about 24,000 feet due to metal fatigue in an upper cabin area. A roughly 18-foot long section of the fuselage separated from the aircraft a flight attendant who was standing in the aisle at the time of the structural failure was ejected out of the aircraft.

The crew was able to execute a successful emergency landing with a significant portion of the upper fuselage missing. In addition to the fatally injured flight attendant, seven passengers were seriously injured. This event made metal fatigue a major area of concern for the FAA, especially for older aircraft.

Note: Even though no passengers were killed and therefore not a fatal airline event, this mishap is included in this list because of the effect it had on air safety practices. As a result of this accident, there were a number of regulatory changes involving inspection requirements for older aircraft such as the one involved in this event. The following resources provide more information about this accident:
Independent analysis of the accident by Hawaiian Steam Engineering
More about this event

9 March 1989 Piedmont 737-200 near Dayton, OH: The aircraft lost cabin pressurization at 31,000 feet (9450 meters). The aircraft executed an emergency descent and landed at Dayton, OH. One of the 70 passengers was taken from the plane to a local hospital and died less than seven hours later. Note: The local medical authorities declared the death due to natural causes. The NTSB also lists this event as an incident and not a fatal accident.

By the time the crew had discovered the error, the aircraft was too far away from a suitable landing option. Twelve of the 48 passengers were killed in the emergency landing. The six crew members all survived. The survivors were found about two days later.

On the China Southern 757, all 12 crew members survived, but 46 of the 110 passengers were killed. On the Xiamen 737, seven of the nine crew members, as well as 74 of the 93 passengers, were killed in the crash. The hijacker was killed in the crash. No one on the China Southwest 707 was killed.

2 April 1996 U.S. Air Force 737-T43 near Dubrovnik, Croatia: The aircraft struck mountainous terrain while attempting to land at the airport under conditions of reduced visibility. The flight crew was using an unapproved approach. All six crew members and 29 passengers were killed. Among the passengers were a number of U.S. corporate executives and the U.S. Secretary of Commerce, Ron Brown. The aircraft is a military version of the 737 that was used to transport military and civilian VIPs.
Note: Although not a fatal airline event, it is included due to the circumstances of the crash.
Commentary from Dr. Peter Ladkin of the University of Bielefeld

5 May 1998 Occidental Petroleum 737-200 near Andoas, Peru: The aircraft, which was a private charter flight, crashed near the Andoas airport during a rainstorm after a flight from Iquitos. The aircraft was executing an NDB approach at the time of the accident. Five of the seven crew members and 69 of the 80 passengers were killed. The aircraft had been leased by Occidental Petroleum from the Peruvian Air Force in order to ferry its workers to the Andoas area.

7 April 1999 THY Turkish Airlines 737-400 Flight 5904 near Ceyhan, Turkey: The aircraft crashed near Ceyhan, Turkey shortly after takeoff from Adana, Turkey. This was a repositioning flight from Adana, Turkey to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and did not have any passengers on board. All six crew members were killed.
More on this accident

5 March 2000 Southwest Airlines 737-300 N668SW flight 1455 Burbank, CA: The aircraft was on a scheduled flight from Las Vegas to Burbank. On arrival, the aircraft overran the end of the runway after after landing, coming to rest on a street adjacent to the airport. None of the five crew members and 137 passengers were killed. Two passengers sustained serious injuries.
NTSB accident brief
Southwest Airlines plane crashes

11 August 2000 Southwest Airlines 737 flight 1763 en route from Las Vegas, NV to Salt Lake City, UT: The aircraft was on a scheduled flight from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City when about 20 minutes before landing, a 19 year old passenger became belligerent and attempted to enter the cockpit. While being escorted back to his seat, the 19 year old attacked another passenger. A number of other passengers subdued him until the aircraft landed. After landing, the now unconscious passenger was removed from the aircraft and he died several hours later.

The medical examiner found traces of drugs in the dead passenger's system, but listed the cause of death as suffocation. The death was classified as a homicide, but none of the passengers involved in the incident were charged with a crime. No other crew members or passengers were seriously injured or killed.
More on this event
Safety events for Southwest Airlines

3 March 2001 Thai Airways 737-400 Bangkok, Thailand: While the aircraft was being serviced prior to a flight, the center fuel tank exploded, killing one of the five cabin crew members on board at the time. Three ground crew members on board at the time also escaped. The prime minister of Thailand along with 148 other passengers were scheduled to board the aircraft for a domestic flight to Chaing Mai. It was determined that the explosion and fire was not due to a deliberate act.

According to an NTSB press release of 11 April 2001, the FBI was unable to find any trace of an explosive. The NTSB also stated in this press release that CVR recording from the recent explosion had features that were similar to recorded features of a Philippine Airlines 737-300 center wing fuel tank explosion in May 1990.

This was not the only time that a center fuel tank exploded on a airliner in similar circumstances. Like this event, in the 17 July 1996 event involving TWA Flight 800 the air conditioning packs on the Thai aircraft had been in operation on the ground. These packs on both the 737 and 747 are located close to the center wing fuel tank.
Related Information
11 March 2007 Seattle Post-Intelligencer story on related FAA actions
Philippine Airlines Fatal Events
Thai Airways Fatal Events
TWA crashes

Note: Even though no passengers were killed and therefore not a fatal airline event, this mishap is included in this list because it involved the explosion of a fuel tank, an issue that had become a major safety concern after the 1996 explosion involving a TWA 747.

16 January 2002 Garuda Indonesia Airways 737-3Q8 PK-GWA flight 421 near Surakarta, Indonesia: The aircraft had been on a scheduled domestic flight from Ampenan to Yogyakarta, Indonesia and encountered severe thunderstorms. About 90 seconds after entering the thunderstorm while through 18,000 feet, both engines flamed out as a result of ingesting water and hail, and the crew was unable to restart the engines. The crew elected to ditch the aircraft in a shallow portion of the Bengawan Solo River. All 54 passengers survived but one the six crew members was killed.
More about this crash
Garuda plane crashes

Investigations in Singapore, Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan revealed that a total of 20 passengers and two flight attendant contracted SARS due to their exposure on that flight. The 20 passengers and one flight attendant were in the economy section of the aircraft and the other fight attendant was in the first class section. There was a total of 112 passengers and eight crew members on the flight.

One of those 20 infected passengers, one of the five from that flight that eventually died, infected a passenger on a Bangkok to Beijing flight on 23 March 2003 and caused two passengers on that flight to become infected. One of the two infected passengers on the Thai Air flight also died.

1. Olsen, S.J., Chang, H., Cheung, T.Y., et al, "Transmission of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome on Aircraft," New England Journal of Medicine, 349(25):2416-2422, 18 December 2003.
2. Lakshmanan, I.A.R, "Air China Flight 112: Tracking the Genesis of a Plague," Boston Globe, 18 May 2003, sec. 1A, p. 1.

8 December 2005 Southwest Airlines 737-700 N471WN flight 1248 Chicago, IL: The aircraft was on a scheduled flight from Baltimore to Chicago's Midway Airport. After landing, the crew was unable to stop the aircraft on the runway, going off the runway, through the airport's barrier fence and onto a nearby street. At some point during this event, the nose wheel collapsed. The aircraft struck at least two vehicles, with the impact causing fatal injuries to a six year old boy who was a passenger in one of the vehicles. None of the five crew members or 95 passengers were seriously injured. This was the first serious accident involving the 737-700. Because this event did not cause a passenger fatality, it is not counted as a fatal event as defined by AirSafe.com.
NTSB final report
Safety events for Southwest Airlines

All six crew members and 148 passengers on the 737 were killed. The two crew members and five passengers on the Legacy 600 were not injured.

20 August 2007 China Airlines 737-800 flight 120 Naha, Japan: Shortly after landing at Naha on the island of Okinawa, the left engine caught fire and the crew initiated an emergency evacuation. Although the aircraft was destroyed by fire, all 157 passengers (including two toddlers) and eight crew members survived.
More about this event
China Airlines crashes

Itek Air had been banned from operating in the EU according to a list published on 24 July 2008.

10 November 2008 Ryanair 737-800 flight 4102 Rome, Italy: The aircraft, on a scheduled international flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Rome, Italy encountered a flock of birds during approach to Rome, sustaining damage to both engines, the wings, and the nose. The crew was able to land on the runway, but aircraft had a collapsed landing gear and serious damage to the rear of the fuselage. All six crew members, and 166 passengers survived.

20 December 2008 Continental Airlines 737-500 flight 1404 Denver, CO: The aircraft, which was on a scheduled domestic flight from Denver, CO to Intercontinental Airport in Houston, TX, departed the runway during takeoff and skidded across a taxiway and a service road before coming to rest in a ravine several hundred yards from the runway. The aircraft sustained significant damage, including a post crash fire, separation of one engine and separated and collapsed landing gear. There were about 38 injuries among the 110 passengers and five crew members, including two passengers who were seriously injured.
Continental Airlines plane crashes
More on this crash

13 July 2009 Southwest Airlines 737-300 N387SW flight 2294 near Charleston, WV: The aircraft was on a scheduled flight Nashville, TN to Baltimore, MD. The aircraft lost cabin pressure about 25 minutes after takeoff, while the aircraft was passing through 35,000 feet, due to a rupture of the fuselage skin near the vertical stabilizer. The rupture created an approximate 18-inch by 12-inch flap in the skin. The crew diverted to Charleston, WV, and there were no serious injuries among the 126 passengers and five crew members. The NTSB determined that the fuselage skin failure was due to preexisting fatigue at a chemically milled step.
NTSB factual report
NTSB accident brief
More about this event
Safety events for Southwest Airlines

22 December 2009 American Airlines 737-800 N977AN flight 331 Kingston, Jamaica: The aircraft was on a scheduled international flight from Miami, FL to Kingston, Jamaica. The aircraft landed during a rainstorm, and was unable to stop on the runway. After departing the runway, the aircraft went beyond the airport fence, and crossed a road before coming to rest on a beach. The landing gear collapsed, both engines separated from the wings, and there were two major breaks in the fuselage, but all 148 passengers and six crew members survived. The landing was carried out with a slight tail wind
More on this event

The aircraft was reportedly struck by lightning just before touchdown. The airplane struck the runway and broke up into three large pieces. One of the 125 passengers was killed, and all six crew members survived.

30 July 2011 Caribbean Airlines 737-800 flight BW523 Georgetown, Guyana: The aircraft (9Y-PBM) was on a scheduled international flight from Port of Spain, Trinidad, arriving at about 1:25 a.m. local time at Georgetown, Guyana. The flight had originated at New York's JFK airport.

After landing, the aircraft departed the runway and broke into two large sections. While there were several serious injuries among the 156 passengers and six crew members, no one was killed in this crash. Reportedly, the aircraft narrowly missed rolling into 200-foot deep ravine.
This plane crash resulted in no fatalities, and is not a fatal event as defined by AirSafe.com, but is included because of the seriousness of the event.

1 April 2011 Southwest Airlines 737-300 N632SW flight 812 near Yuma, AZ: The airliner, with 118 passengers and a crew, was on a scheduled flight from Phoenix, AZ to Sacramento, CA, when it experienced a rapid loss of cabin pressure after a rupture developed in the upper fuselage about 18 minutes after takeoff when the aircraft was climbing through 34,000 feet. After the loss of cabin pressure, the crew was able to divert to Yuma, AZ without further incident. There were no serious injuries among the 118 passengers and crew members on board. The rupture was about five feet long and about a foot wide. Because no passengers were killed, this event was not counted as a fatal event as defined by AirSafe.com.
Additional details about this investigation
NTSB incident report
More about this event

Interview on BBC's The World Today

There were four crew members and 11 passengers on board. Both pilots were killed, and only one passenger, a seven-year-old girl, survived. Her six-year-old sister was among the 10 passengers who did not survive.

Prior to this fatal crash, the airline had two prior serious, though nonfatal, incidents involving of their 737 fleet. In 2001, a First Air 737 landed short of the runway Yellowknife and was seriously damaged. While the aircraft was too damaged to be repaired, none of the 98 passengers or six crew members were injured. In a 2004 landing incident in Edmonton, Alberta, the aircraft landed to the side of the runway and struck a number of lights and a sign before the crew was able to come to a stop on the runway. This aircraft returned to service, and was the same one involved in the fatal Resolute Bay crash.

The Band Was Touring, With Their 5th Album &ldquoStreet Survivors&rdquo Being Released.

The band had just released their biggest album to date and was riding off of a good high. &ldquoStreet Survivors&rdquo was released just three days before the crash and would quickly become a hit. The album would reach gold in ten days after release and it would eventually go double platinum. The album had two notable songs: &ldquoWhat&rsquos your name&rdquo and &ldquoThat Smell&rdquo. Both of which helped the album climb to the No. 5 spot, it was the band&rsquos first No. 5 album.

It would also be the first album that guitarist Steve Gaines would be the sole guitar player on. The album would go through several cover changes and would mark a new era for the guys. The band leased a new Convair CV-240 to help them get between shows easier. The album had deeper meaning than most. Especially with the song &ldquoThat Smell&rdquo. It is a cautionary song about drug abuse that fans believed was aimed at one of the members.

The album had a very controversial cover when released. The album cover depicted the band members in an alleyway covered in flames. If you look closely, Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines (2 of 3 band members to die in the crash) are completely engulfed in flames, whereas the rest of the band is merely standing around in the streets of fire. The cover would quickly be changed to a more bland blacked out background with the band in the same pose after the accident. Making the original release cover more valuable to collectors than the second cover released just a few weeks after the album hit the shelves.

Luckiest man alive? Diver swallowed by whale also survived deadly 2001 plane crash

Dive teams in Tennessee found human remains believed to belong to the seven victims — including a Christian diet guru — who are presumed dead after a small plane crashed into a Tennessee lake, reports said Sunday.

Local emergency agencies uncovered the remains and pieces of the plane in Percy Priest Lake sometime Sunday, the Tennessean reported.

Rutherford County Fire Captain and Incident Commander John Ingle said the crash site and corresponding debris field is “half of a mile wide” and the recovery effort is still underway as officials use drones to survey the site, the outlet said.

It’s not clear who the remains belonged to but Christian diet guru Gwen Shamblin Lara and her husband Joe Lara, who played Tarzan on television in the 1980s and 1990s, were both on board along with five other adults.

The Cessna 500 was headed from Smyrna to Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach, Florida when it crashed soon after takeoff Saturday morning due to what’s believed to be a mechanical failure on the 39-year-old plane, the outlet reported.

While there were two licensed pilots on board, Joe Lara and Brandon Hannah, they weren’t legally allowed to fly the Cessna, the outlet reported, citing data from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Human remains from the seven presumed dead victims were found in Percy Priest Lake. George Walker IV/The Tennessean via AP

Joe Lara, 58, had not updated his medical certification since 2017, which is required every two years, and Hannah wasn’t certified to fly the Cessna 500 series, the FAA database shows.

It’s not clear who was piloting the plane and what exactly went wrong.

All seven aboard were from Brentwood, about ten miles south of Nashville, and several were affiliated with the controversial Remnant Fellowship Church, which Gwen Shamblin Lara founded and some have compared to a cult.

Aerosmith almost bought the plane from the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash

Earlier in 1977, there was another rock and roll band in the market for an airplane. Eerily, legendary rock group Aerosmith had representatives looking to buy the very Convair that carried Lynyrd Skynyrd to their demise. Aerosmith&rsquos managers toured the plane and were extremely unimpressed with the plane&rsquos condition as well as the staff that manned it.

Photo by Larry Hulst/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

The final straw came when they allegedly witnessed pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray passing a bottle of Jack Daniel&rsquos back and forth. The plane may have held up, but the pilots failed their inspection, and that is why you are reading about Lynyrd Skynyrd instead of Aerosmith right now.

The plane crash Killed Rhoads — and nearly Killed the Osbournes

Soon they were taking the fun on the road. “I remember we did a gig in Knoxville, Tennessee, and we were driving from Knoxville, Tennessee, to Orlando, Florida, to do a gig with Foreigner,” the now 71-year-old musician recalls.

They were staying at a mansion on March 19, 1982, before their concert in Leesburg when tragedy struck around noon.

“Ozzy and I were sleeping in the back of the bus, and we got woken up by this huge, huge blast,” Sharon remembers.

Even now, almost four decades later, Osbourne speaks about the incident with devastation, remembering seeing a gigantic blaze. “I couldn’t understand what’s going on — it’s like I’ve been in a nightmare,” he says.

Sharon recalls bassist Rudy Sarzo shouting, “Get off the bus!” while Sarzo adds, “We all get out of the bus and we had no idea what was going on.”

When Sharon got out of the bus, she saw the tour manager on his knees crying. She turned and saw an airplane sticking up through a house.

In the plane were 25-year-old Rhoads, 36-year-old pilot Andrew Aycock and 58-year-old hairdresser Rachel Youngblood.

“They had been on a plane and the plane had crashed,” Sarzo says. “One or two inches lower, it would have crashed into the bus, and we would have blown up right there.”

While the exact details of how the plane crashed are unclear, their fate was certain. “I don&apost know what the hell happened that killed them, but everyone died on the plane,” Osbourne says.

The mother of Randy Rhoads along with (L-R) Zakk Wylde, Ozzy Osbourne, Yngwie Malmsteen, Sharon Osbourne and Rudy Sarzo attend the ceremony in which the guitarist was honored posthumously and inducted into the Hollywood Rockwalk on March 18, 2004, in Hollywood, California

Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

The cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Street Survivors

In the wake of the plane crash, grieving fans and curious music lovers turned to the ominous cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's latest album, Street Survivors. Although the Transportation Safety Board report stated there was no fire due to there being no fuel, the fiery cover of the album seemed to foretell the fate of the band. According to Time, the band's families were especially affected by the photograph and asked MCA Records to replace it. The new cover featured an image from the same photography shoot, sans the flames, while the old image was moved to the back.

Both versions of Street Survivors sold quickly, to the tune of 500,000 records within a short time. Billboard magazine's "Billboard 200" list for December 10, 1977 showed the album topped out at number five on the chart. The album eventually became the band's second platinum album. In 2007, a 30 th Anniversary issue of the record once again featured the original front cover. In addition, several expanded and re-mastered versions of the album are available today.

Mirage F1 Pilot in Plane Crash Near Nellis Air Force Base Confirmed Dead

A pilot whose fighter jet crashed on Monday shortly after taking off from a base in Nevada has died, the Air Force base has confirmed.

The aircraft took off from Nellis Air Force Base (NAFB), located near Las Vegas, at around 2:30 p.m. local time on Monday and crashed near the southern edge of the facility. Several federal and local first responders remain on the scene.

Orko Manna, a reporter for 8 News Now, wrote on Twitter that smoke from the plane could "reportedly be seen for miles" in the aftermath of the incident.

NAFB has not yet released any information about the cause of the crash, but they confirmed that the pilot, who has not yet been named, was the only person onboard at the time of the fatal incident.

The base said that the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is investigating the crash, and the agency told CNN that it is looking into an incident involving a Dassault Aviation Mirage F1.

The base confirmed that the plane was "owned and piloted" by Draken US, a "Florida-based company contracted to provide adversary air support to Nellis Air Force Base."

Draken maintains several aircraft at the facility, which is located in southern Nevada, 8 miles from Las Vegas.

In a statement on Monday evening, Draken wrote that it had "received news of a downed aircraft out of Nellis AFB and the tragic loss of one of our pilots. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people and families affected by this event.

"We are doing everything in our power to assist them in this time of need, and we are working closely with federal, state and local authorities."

NAFB also released a statement about the crash on Monday, writing: "The men and women of Team Nellis send our deepest condolences to the teammates, friends and family of our Draken wingman."


  1. Zololl

    I'm sorry, nothing I can not help you. But I am sure you will find the right solution.

  2. Roland

    the doggie is not so badly settled down

  3. Winwood

    Hi. Admin, do you want a joke?

  4. Wanahton

    cognitive topic

  5. Abraham

    I think you are not right. Write to me in PM.

Write a message