We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

BORN: 1820 in Richmond City, VA.
DIED: 1902 in Hattiesburg, MS.
CAMPAIGNS: Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, Richmond (KY), Stone's River,
Vicksburg, Chickamauga, Price's Missouri Raid.
Evander McNair was born on April 15, 1820, in Richmond County, North Carolina. He and his family moved to Mississippi when McNair was a child. As an adult, he became a businessman, but took time off to fight in the Mexican War, serving under Jefferson Davis. After the Mexican War, he moved Washington, Arkansas, where he lived until 1861. When Arkansas seceded, he joined the Confederate forces. His first battle was at Wilson's Creek in August of 1861. In March of 1862, at Pea Ridge, he took command, thereafter holding brigade command. He was promoted to brigadier general as of November 4, 1862, because of his performance at Richmond on September. McNair took part in the fighting at Stone's River, and went to the Western theater from the operations to relieve Vicksburg to the Battle of Chickamauga. Although he was severely wounded at Chickamauga, his troops were bale to capture two Union batteries, and become known among Confederates as the "Star Brigade of Chickamauga." When McNair recovered, he was permanently transferred to the Trans-Mississippi, where he participated in Maj. Gen. Sterling Price's Missouri Raid of 1864. After the end of the Civil War, he went into business, working first in New Orleans, then in Mississippi. McNair died in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, on November 13, 1902.


Many photo's herein are post war

(estimated at 10,175 troops)

Col Thomas
James Churchill

1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles

2nd Arkansas Mounted Rifles

South Kansas- Texas Mtd Reg

Capt William Edward Woodruff, Jr

Col John Quincy Burbridge

Maj John Calhoun
Caldwell Thornton


Payton, McGowan, and Hunter's units

Southern Soldiers who served in this battle and attained the rank of General by war's end
Please advise of corrections

Col Elkanah Greer - 3rd TexasCavalry - Brigadier General CSA (Oct 1862)
Col James McQueen McIntosh - 2nd AR Mtd Rifles - Brigadier General CSA (kia Pea Ridge, AR)
Col Evander McNair - 4th AR Inf - Brigadier General CSA (1862)
Lt Col Dandridge McRae - Arkansas Infantry - Brigadier General CSA (Nov 1862)
Capt Daniel Harris Reynolds - 1st AR Mtd Rifles - Brigadier General CSA (March 1864)
Col Thomas J Churchill - 1st AR Mtd Rifles - Major General CSA (March 1865)
Maj John B Clark - MSG Clark's Division - Brigadier General CSA (March 1864)
Col Thomas Pleasant Dockery - 5th AR Infantry- Brigadier General CSA (Aug 1863)
Col Louis Hebert - 3rd LA Infantry - Brigadier General CSA (May 1862)
Col James Patrick Major - MSG 3rd Division - Brigadier General CSA (July 1863)
Gen Mosby M Parsons - 6th Division - Brigadier General CSA (Nov 1862)
Gen Nathaniel Bart Pearce - AR Brigade - Major General CSA (Dec 1861)
Gen Sterling Price - MSG Commander - Major General CSA (Mar 1862)
Capt Joseph Orville Shelby - MSG - Brigadier General CSA
Capt Francis Marion Cockrell - 8th Division, MSG - Brigadier General
Lt John Bullock Clark, Jr - Clark's Division, MSG - Brigadier General
Lt Matthew Duncan Ector - 3rd TX Cavalry - Brigadier General CSA
Gen William Yarnell Slack - 4th Division - Brigadier General CSA (1862 - 4 weeks after death)

McRae, McIntosh, Slack, Dockery, Churchill photo courtesy of "General Officers of the Civil War"

Hebert, McCulloch, Price photo courtesy of "3rd Louisiana Infantry History"

Parsons, McBride photo courtesy of "Missouri SCV"

Clark, Pearce, Rains, Bledsoe photo courtesy of "Borderland Rebellion" by Elmo Ingenthron

Major and Greer photo courtesy of "Confederates in Gray" by Ezra Warner

Col Benjamin
Johnson Brown

1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th MSG Infantry

Return to Union Return to Index

3rd Louisiana Infantry - great site and touching music "Brothers In Arms"

Dedicated to my Confederate grandfather - Thomas K Cook 35th Georgia Infantry and others unproven at present with Missouri State Guard with and numerous great uncles and cousins

Company E, Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion: The Nowell Brothers, my 2nd cousins 5x removed

Battle Flag Design for the Arkansas 4th

The Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion was originally organized at Little Rock, Arkansas, on November 10, 1861, with five companies from Clark, Prairie, Pulaski and White counties. Company E was comprised of men from Pulaski and White counties. J. M. Moore was elected Captain of the Company. Originally, the Battalion was ordered to the defenses of Columbus, Kentucky. By early 1862, the Battalion was assigned to protect a small island at the base of a tight double turn in the course of the Mississippi River near New Madrid, Missouri, simply referred to as Island No. 10.

Bombardment and Capture of Island Number Ten on the Mississippi River, April 7, 1862

The Federal bombardment of Island No.10 lasted from February 28 - April 8, 1862. Due to the island's location on the bend of the River, it was an ideal place to block Union efforts to invade the South from the Mississippi River. Federal vessels had to slow their approach in order to make the turn in the bend, effectively making them "sitting ducks". The downside to the strategic Confederate location was that it depended on a single road for supplies and reinforcements. If an enemy was to block the road, the Garrison would be trapped.

Following Federal Brigadier General John Pope's overland march through Missiouri, his force occupied the town of Point Pleasant, which was situated west of the island and south of New Madrid. From their position at Point Pleasant, the Federals transported heavy siege guns towards New Madrid. After only one day of Federal bombardment, Brigadier General John Porter McCown, the Confederate commander of the Garrison at New Madrid, gave the order to evacuate the town. McCown removed most of his command to Island No. 10. With Union forces now occupying New Madrid, they began to send Federal gunboats down river to attack Island No. 10. For three weeks, the defenders of the island, were subject to heavy mortar bombardment from the Federal ships. During this time, the Federal Army at New Madrid began digging a Canal across the neck of land to the east of the town. Once the canal was finished, it provided the Federal Army a means of crossing the river and attacking Confederate troops on the Tennessee side.

On April 4, 1862, Flag Officer Andrew Hull Foote sent forth the USS Carondelet, under the command of Commander Henry Walke to supress the Confederate Artillery Batteries at their point of attack. Two nights later the USS Pittsburg, under the command of Lieutenant Egbert Thompson, also made its way past the Confederate Battery. With the support of the two Federal Gunboats, Pope was able to send his Army across the river and trap the outnumbered Confederates. The Confederate Garrison was surrendered to Flag Officer Foote on April 8, 1862. This was the first instance in the Civil War where the Confederate Army lost its position on the Mississippi River. It wouldn't be the last.

Following the Confederate defeat, the Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion was sent to Fort Pillow, Tennessee, where they remained for only a short time. Following the Battle of Shiloh, the Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion was sent to Cornith, Mississippi, where the unit was assigned to Colonel Evander McNair's Brigade. McNair had assumed command so the Brigade following General Benjamin McCulloch's death at the Battle of Pea Ridge.

Colonel, later Brigadier General Evander McNair

On November 4, 1862, Colonel Evander McNair was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General. His Brigade included 1st and 2nd Arkansas Mounted Rifles (dismounted), the 4th Arkansas Infantry Regiment, 30th Arkansas Infantry Regiment, 4th Arkansas Infantry Battalion, and Humphrey's Arkansas Artillery Battery.

The 4th Arkansas was reorganized again at Camp Churchill Clark, Cornith, Mississippi on May 8, 1862. McNair's Brigade was assigned to Brigadier General Thomas James Churchill's Division in General Edmund Kirby Smith's Army of Kentucky just in time to participate in the Kentucky Campaign, also known as the Confederate Heartland Offensive.

Army of Kentucky Battle Flag

In the Fall of 1862, two Confederate Armies traversed on separate paths into Kentucky. Their goal was to restore the power of the Confederate government in the State and to recruit its men into the service of the Confederate Army. General Edmund Kirby Smith's newly formed Army of Kentucky moved first, departing from Knoxville, Tennessee on August 13th. General Braxton Bragg's Army of Mississippi traveled on a parallel path through the western part of the state, departing Chattanooga, Tennessee on August 27th. It was Smith's idea to spearhead the attack.

On August 29, 1862, Brigadier General Patrick Cleburne led Smith's advance with Colonel John S. Scott's Cavalry in front. The Confederates soon encountered a force of Federal Cavalry and began skirmishing. By noon, Federal Artillery and Infantry had arrived and joined in the fighting. The additionl Federal units forced Scott's Cavalry to retreat to Big Hill, Kentucky. Brigadier General Mahlon D. Manson commanded the Federal forces in the area and ordered a Brigade to march towards Rogersville, Kentucky and pursue the retreating Confederates. The Federals caught up with Cleburne's force just in time for a brief skirmish before daylight was exhausted. That evening, Manson informed his superior, Federal Major General William "Bull" Nelson of his situation. Nelson advised Manson to prepare another Brigade for support.

Edmund Kirby Smith was determined to get the jump on the Yankees on the morning of August 30th. At daylight he ordered Cleburne to attack, promising that General Thomas J. Churchill's Division would soon reinforce his troops. Cleburne's men marched rapidly through Kingston, Kentucky, making light work of a small force of Federal skirmishers. Cleburne finally approached Manson's line of battle near Zion Church and commenced his attack. As the day progressed, Brigadier General Thomas J. Churchill led his men along a narrow ravine that would be later referred to as "Churchill's Draw" to deliver a surprise and successful flanking attack on the Federal Position.

As Confederates concentrated their attack on the Union right, the Federal line began to crumble. Union troops began to retreated towards Rogersville, Kentucky, where they made a futile stand at the site of their old camp. Bull Nelson arrived on the field in time to try to rally the Federals in the cemetery outside of Richmond, Kentucky, but it was too little, too late. Smith's Confederates completed their rout of the Federals. Before the battle, Smith's Confederate Army of Kentucky was comprised of roughly 6,800 men, while Nelson's Union Army of Kentucky had about 6,500. The total number of casualties for each army was quite staggering. The Union had suffered a staggering 5,353 casualties, 206 killed, 844 wounded, 4,303 captured or missing. The Confederate's only suffered 451 casualties, 78 killed, 372 wounded, 1 missing.

Major General John Porter McCown

In December of 1862, McNair's Brigade was assigned to Major General John Porter McCown's Division just in time to participate in the Battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee which was also known as the Battle of Stones River. On December 31, 1862, McNair's Brigade took part in a brilliant charge by McCown's Division which drove the Federal right back a distance of 3 - 4 miles, bending it back upon the Federal center, until the line was at a right angle to its original position. This was one of the only instances that favored the Confederates during the Battle. The Federal victory at Stones River, was costly to the Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion. Severely understrength due to battle losses, the Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion was consolidated with the Arkansas 4th Infantry Regiment.

In June of 1863, McNair's Brigade was again reassigned, this time to the Division commanded by Major General Samuel Gibbs French in Joseph E. Johnston's Department of the West. Ulysses S. Grant was now threatening to lay Siege to Confederate stronghold of Vicksburg, Mississippi. Johnston's Department of the West was tasked with relieving Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton's beleaguered garrison at Vicksburg. Pemberton's men had been fending for themselves since early May. The Confederates had successfully driven off two separate Federal attacks on May 19th and 22nd, repulsing the Yankees with heavy casualties. On May 25, 1863, Grant decided to besiege the City.

Siege of Vicksburg, by Kurz and Allison

Meanwhile, Johnston had amassed a large Confederate force at Jackson, Mississippi and began a cautious march toward the Grant's position at Vicksburg with roughly 30,000 troops. Grant dispatched William Tecumsah Sherman to deal with Johnston's threatening force. By July 1, 1863, Johnston's force was in position along the Big Black River. Three days later, Vicksburg was officially surrendered to U. S. Grant's Federal Force. The Confederates held out for more than 40 days, however with no reinforcements and virtually no supplies, the Garrison finally surrendered on July 4, 1863. The surrender came one day after Robert E. Lee's defeat at Gettysburg. The combination of these two events is considered the turning point of the Civil War by many historians.

On July 5th, following the Confederate defeat at Vicksburg, General Sherman was finally free to move against Johnston. Johnston withdrew his force back across the Big Black River with Sherman in pursuit. By July 10, 1863, both Armies had taken up positions near Jackson, Mississippi. Heavy fighting commenced on July 11th with an unsuccessful Federal attack. Union Colonel Isaac C. Pugh was ordered to attack the Confederate works occupied by Confederate Brigadier General Daniel W. Adams Brigade and was repulsed with heavy casualties. As the Federals increased pressure on the Confederates, Johnston chose to evacuate the State capital and withdraw from Jackson on July 16, 1863, rather than risk entrapment for his Army.

Following the defeat at Vicksburg, McNair's Brigade was transferred back the Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee. The Arkansas 4th Infantry Regiment was again consolidated, this time the Regiment took on the remaining elements of the Arkansas 31st Infantry Regiment. Three full Regiments had begun the war, now they barely filled up one Regiment. Colonel Henry Gaston Bunn, of the Arkansas 4th Infantry Regiment commanded the consolidated Regiment. The Regiment would end the war as the Arkansas 4th Infantry Regiment.

The Arkansas 4th Infantry Regiment participated in the Battle of Chickamauga on September 19 - 20, 1863. This battle pitted General Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee with strength of roughly 65,000 effectives against Federal General William Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland, which contained approximately 60,000 soldiers. The battle was named for the Chickamauga Creek, which streams near the battlefield in Northwest Georgia and flows into the Tennessee River.

Battle of Chickamauga by Kurz and Allison, 1890

In early September of 1863, Rosecrans consolidated his scattered forces in Tennessee and Georgia. This move put pressure on Braxton Bragg and forced his army out of Chattanooga, Tennessee, moving them south into Georgia. Federal troops pursued Bragg's Confederates and briefly engaged them at the Battle of Davis's Crossroads on September 10th - 11th. Bragg was determined to reoccupy Chattanooga and began advancing his troops northward on September 17, 1863.

On the morning of September 19th, The Army of Tennessee encountered Rosecrans and the Army of the Cumberland near Chichamauga Creek. Bragg ordered his army to attack. Bragg's men strongly assaulted, but couldn't break the Federal line. The next morning, Bragg again ordered his men to attack. Rosecrans was misinformed that he had a gap in line. He then ordered Federal reinforcements to close up the gap in his ranks. This move caused an actual gap to appear in the Federal line. Lieutenant General James Longstreet, on loan from the Army of Northern Virginia, ordered eight Brigades forward to attack the newly created gap. McNair's Brigade was one of the Confederate Brigades tasked to attack the gap in the Federal line. Viciously the Confederates raced through the gap, completely driving one third of the Federal force, along with Rosecrans, from the battlefield. The men of the Arkansas 4th Infantry Regiment helped seal one of the Confederacy's greatest victories in the Western theater of the War. It wasn't without cost to the consolidated 4th/31st/4th Arkansas, who lost 24 percent of the 385 soldiers engaged in the Battle of Chickamauga. Brigadier General Evander McNair was also wounded during the battle. He was sent home to Mississippi to recover. Following his recovery he was reassigned to the Trans-Mississippi Department, where he served for the remainder of the war.

After the Battle of Chickamauga, McNair's Brigade moved back into Central Mississippi to oppose William Tecumsah Sherman's Meridian Campaign. Sherman had organized a force of roughly 20,000 men to move into Central Mississippi and wreck havoc on railroads, lines of communication or anything else believed to be of use to the Confederacy. The Meridian Campaign was a tune up for the "total war" tactics Sherman would later use in Georgia and South Carolina.

Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk

McNair's Brigade was assigned to the command of Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk, who was in command of all of the Confederate forces in Mississippi. Polk consolidated all of the available forces in the region to counter Sherman's threat, but inevitably failed to stop Sherman's destruction. Meridian was effectively destroyed. The bulk of Polk's troops were reassigned back to the Army of Tennessee in time to oppose Sherman's Atlanta Campaign.

Union Major General William T. Sherman and his staff in the trenches outside of Atlanta

In the Summer of 1864, newly appointed Brigadier General Daniel Harris Reynolds assumed command of McNair's Brigade. Reynolds had risen up the Confederate ranks, originally starting as a Captain in the 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifle Regiment. Reynolds became the Regiment's Major on April 14, 1862, its Lieutenant Colonel on May 1, 1862 and its Colonel on September 20, 1863 following the Battle of Chickamauga. On March 5, 1864, Reynolds was appointed Brigadier General.

The Consolidated Arkansas 4th Infantry Regiment spent the Summer and Fall of 1864 opposing General William Tecumsah Sherman's Atlanta Campaign. After the fall of Atlanta, the 4th Arkansas along with the remainder of the Army of Tennessee, now under the command of Lieutenant General John Bell Hood, moved their operations back into Tennessee.

Lieutenant General John Bell Hood

By the Fall of 1864, Hood had been twice severely injured in battle. He was the victim of an artillery shell that rendered his left arm useless for the rest of his life at the Battle of Gettysburg. Hood was again wounded while leading a charge at the Battle of Chickamauga, causing his right leg to be amputated 4 inches below the hip. Despite his injuries, Hood had risen to fame as one of the Confederacy's most promising Generals.

The Consolidated 4th Arkansas participated in Hood's Tennessee Campaign, also known as the Franklin-Nashville Campaign. The Campaign was actually a series of battles that took place in Alabama, Tennessee and Northwest Georgia from September 18 - December 27, 1864. Following Sherman's Atlanta Campaign, Hood's men returned to Tennessee to destroy Sherman's lines of communication and supporting infrastructure in the area. Sherman's Federals briefly pursued Hood's Confederates, but abandoned their pursuit and returned to Atlanta for Sherman's infamous "March to the Sea". This left the Union forces under the command of Major General George H. Thomas to deal with Hood's impending threat.

Hood hoped to tag a quick victory against Major General John Schofield's troops before they could converge with Thomas's Army. He attempted to do so at the Battle of Spring Hill on November 29, 1864. Poorly coordinated Confederate attacks allowed Schofield to escape. On November 30th, Hood continued his offensive against Schofield's Federals who were firmly entrenched at Franklin, Tennessee.

Battle of Franklin, by Kurz and Allison (1891)

Hood's men led a series of failed assaults against Schofield's position. The Confederate assault included eighteen Brigades and culminated in devastating losses to the men and the leadership of the Army of Tennessee. The Army lost fourteen Confederate Generals (six killed or mortally wounded, seven wounded, and one captured) and 55 regimental commanders were casualties. Many historians have referred to this as the "Pickett's/Pettigrew's Charge of the West" due to the severe losses suffered by the Confederates. Schofield's troops were able to carry out their planned withdrawal in order and eventually link up with Thomas's Army.

Unwilling to abandon his original attack plan, Hood's force marched wearily towards the heavily fortified city of Nashville and proceeded to besiege the town with inferior forces. Two weeks later, on December 15 -16, 1864, the combined armies of Thomas and Schofield, attacked the depleted Army of Tennessee at Nashville.

On December 15, 1864, General Thomas laid out a plan to launch a diversionary attack on the Confederate right. The intended threat to the Confederates would actually be their left. He assumed Hood would counter the attack and divert troops from their left to their right. Hood's Confederates held strong and sent two Brigades to reinforce the Confederate left.

The Confederate line was much more stronger and compact on December 16th. At least that's what it seemed at first appearance. In reality the Confederate works were put up hastily on the evening of December 15th by tired and battle weary Confederates. The trenches were shallow and had no covering or abatis. The fortification was also located on salient, surrounded on three sides by the Federals, which allowed easy bombardment from the enemy. The Union attack on the 16th proved to be much stronger and more coordinated than the attacks on the 15th. At 3:00pm, Federal Brigadier General John McArthur sent a notice to General Thomas that he was going to attack the Confederate fortifications unless he heard anything contrary within five minutes.

McArthur's Brigade, along with two additional Brigades, carried out the initial attack on the Confederate line. Each Brigade approached the salient from a different direction. The attacks were well coordinated and devastated the Confederate line on all fronts. The Confederate line folded. As nighttime fell, Hood's Army retreated toward Franklin. Federal casualties in the Battle of Nashville were 387 killed, 2,562 wounded, and 112 missing. Confederate casualties numbered approximately 2,500 killed or wounded and nearly 5,000 missing or captured.

Following the Battle of Nashville, the Army of Tennessee was decimated. The Arkansas Regiments of Reynold's Brigade marched all he way to Tuepelo, Mississippi, where they went in to Winter Camp on January 10, 1865. On January 30th, Reynold's Brigade broke camp and began their arduous travel northward to link up with Joseph E. Johnston's troops. The Brigade participated in its final contest of the Civil War at the Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina on March 19, 1865. Following the battle, the Unit marched to Smithfield, North Carolina where the entire Brigade was consolidated into one understrength Regiment, the 1st Consolidated Mounted Rifles.

The 1st Arkansas Consolidated Mounted Rifles surrendered with the Army of Tennessee at Greensboro, North Carolina, April 26, 1865. The Regiment was paroled on May 1, 1865, at Jamestown, North Carolina. After the surrender, the men were offered free rail transportation in the direction of their homes, by what was left of the Southern railway companies. Most of the men traveled by rail, where they could. A large number of men were killed or seriously injured in a railroad accident at Flat Creek Bridge, Tennessee on May 25, 1865.

Three brothers from the Nowell family served in Company E of the Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion. Each brother was born in Madison County, Tennessee, but made their way to Arkansas by the beginning of the Civil War.

Dempsey Nowell, Jr. was born on March 12, 1845 in Madison County, Tennessee. He is my 2nd cousin 5x removed. Dempsey is a name that was used in several early generations of the Nowell family. It is believed that my 6th Great Grandfather, Dempsey Nowell, Sr. (1728-1777), was the first Nowell born in the state of North Carolina. Dempsey Nowell, Sr. was also the Great Grandfather of this particular Dempsey Nowell. This branch of the Nowell family originally moved to Tennessee sometime in the 1820's. By 1860, Dempsey and his family had relocated to Duncan, Pulaski County Arkansas. He enlisted as a Private in Little Rock, Arkansas on November 1, 1861 at the age of 17.

1st Muster Roll for Dempsey

Dempsey was captured at the Battle of Nashville on December 16, 1864.

POW Roll showing Dempsey's capture

He was originally confined to a Federal Military Prison in Louisville, Kentucky.

POW Roll showing Dempsey's confinement in Louisville, Kentucky

On December 21, 1864, Dempsey was transferred to Camp Douglas, Illinois.

POW Roll showing Dempsey's transfer to Camp Douglas

He remained in confinement at Camp Douglas until he was released on June 19, 1865 in accordance with General Orders No. 109.

POW Roll showing Dempsey's release from Camp Douglas

Following his release, Dempsey returned to Madison County, Tennessee where he married Elizabeth Barrett on October 30, 1866 at the age of 21. Sometime before 1900, Dempsey and his family moved back to Arkansas. He lived an additional 61 years following the end of the Civil War. Dempsey Nowell, Jr. died in Benton Township, Faulkner County, Arkansas on March 14, 1826 at the age of 81. His burial location is not known at the time of this entry.

Rev. Reuben F. Nowell was born in 1835 in Madison County, Tennessee. He is also my 2nd cousin 5x removed. Marriage records indicate Reuben was living in Arkansas by 1858. He enlisted as a Private in El Paso, Arkansas on March 1, 1862 at the age of 27.

Unfortunately for Reuben, he contracted tuberculosis sometime in 1862. He was finally sent to Lookout Mountain Hospital on July 24, 1862.

Muster Roll showing Reuben was hospitalized in July of 1862

He made an attempt to return to serve his country, but apparently he was too sick. Reuben left the Regiment again in May of 1863, this time never to return.

Muster Roll showing Reuben left the Regiment again in May of 1863.

Reuben died sometime in 1863. He was 28 years old. It is said that when Reuben returned home, his companion helped him get out of the wagon and assisted him in getting inside his cabin where he later died. He is believed to have been buried at the Patton Hollow Cemetery in an unmarked grave.

Samuel J. Nowell was born April 19, 1841 in Madison County, Tennessee. He is also my 2nd cousin 5x removed. Census records indicate that Samuel continued to live in Madison County, Tennessee until joining his brothers in the Arkansas 4th Infantry Battalion on March 1, 1862 at El Paso, Arkansas where he enlisted as a Private at the age of 20.

1st Muster Roll for Samuel

Poor health also affected Samuel's service to the Confederacy. He very well could have contracted tuberculosis like his brother Reuben. Samuel only served for a total of 14 days before returning home with an unspecified illness. Samuel left on a boat and returned home on March 15, 1862.

Muster Roll indicating Samuel left the Regiment on March 15, 1862

Confederate service records indicate he never returned to the Regiment. Samuel recovered from his illness and lived an additional 58 years following the end of the Civil War. Census records show Samuel returned to Madison County, Tennessee, where he lived until he died on January 26, 1923 at the age of 81. His burial location is not known at the time of this entry.

Since all three of these men were brothers, I'm only providing one relationship chart.

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

current20:48, 19 March 20183,255 × 4,096 (12.72 MB) Fæ (talk | contribs) Library of Congress Miscellaneous Items in High Demand, PPOC, Library of Congress 1862 LCCN 2004680079 tif # 11,543 / 48,860

You cannot overwrite this file.

Evander McNair

Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is October 27, 1862.

Location. 32° 19.092′ N, 90° 53.418′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Memorial is on North Frontage Road west of Iowa Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Located outside Vicksburg National Military Park, on former park property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: North Frontage Road, Vicksburg MS 39180, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C.S. Company C, (within shouting distance of this marker) Samuel G. French (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line) Samuel B. Maxey (about 400 feet away) South Carolina Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away) States Rights Gist (approx. 0.4 miles away) Louisiana 22nd Infantry (approx. 0.4 miles away) C.S. Marks' Company, 22D Louisiana (approx. 0.4 miles away) "The Widow Blakely" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.

More about this marker. The sculptor was Anton Schaaf, the cost was $650 for the bronze and it was erected in March, 1915.

McNair History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms

The history of the ancestors of the McNair family begins among the Pictish clans ancient Scotland. The name McNair comes from the personal name John. The Gaelic form of their name was originally Mac-Iain-uidhir, which means son of dun John. However, the McNair family of Perth traditionally derive their name from M'an-oighre, which means son of the heir. Experts have also theorized that the surname McNair may be derived from Mac-an-fhuibir, which means son of the smith, or Mac-an-huidhir, which means son of the stranger.

Set of 4 Coffee Mugs and Keychains

$69.95 $48.95

Early Origins of the McNair family

The surname McNair was first found in Perth, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.

Further to the south in England, the Menaire, Menear, Manhire and other variants claim descent from Walter Maenhir who was listed in Devon in 1293. The very rare variant Manhire traces back to Ellis Menheire who was listed in Devon in 1642. [1]

Coat of Arms and Surname History Package

$24.95 $21.20

Early History of the McNair family

This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McNair research. Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1392, 1526, 1546, 1776 and are included under the topic Early McNair History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Unisex Coat of Arms Hooded Sweatshirt

McNair Spelling Variations

Prior to the invention of the printing press in the last hundred years, documents were basically unique. Names were written according to sound, and often appeared differently each time they were recorded. Spelling variations of the name McNair include MacNair, MacNaire, MacNayer, MacNeir, MacNuir, Menair and many more.

Early Notables of the McNair family (pre 1700)

Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McNair Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the McNair family to Ireland

Some of the McNair family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

McNair migration +

Some of the first settlers of this family name were:

McNair Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
  • John McNair, a Highland Scott, from Kilkenny, Argyll, who settled in America in 1770 with his 2 surviving children and settled in Robeson County, North Carolina
  • John McNair, who arrived in Virginia in 1785 [2]
McNair Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
  • James McNair, aged 61, who landed in New York in 1812-1813 [2]
  • Barnard McNair, aged 67, who landed in North Carolina in 1813 [2]
  • Janet McNair, her husband and four children, who settled in Charleston in 1821
  • Catherine McNair, who arrived in Nevada in 1855 [2]
  • William L McNair, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866 [2]

McNair migration to Canada +

Some of the first settlers of this family name were:

McNair Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
  • Ann McNair, aged 18, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Ranger" in 1834
  • Sarah McNair, aged 20, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Ranger" in 1834

McNair migration to Australia +

Emigration to Australia followed the First Fleets of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:

McNair Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
  • John McNair, English Convict from Northumberland, who was transported aboard the "Aboukir" on December 24, 1851, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia[3]
  • Robert McNair, aged 33, who arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "James Fernie" [4]
  • Rachel McNair, aged 27, a servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Taymouth Castle" [5]
  • Neil McNair, aged 22, a carpenter, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Admiral Boxer"
  • Elizabeth McNair, aged 20, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Bee"
  • . (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)

McNair migration to New Zealand +

Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:

Arkansas Mounted Rifles [Civil War]

After Arkansas seceded from the Union on May 6, 1861, state troops were mustered into the Confederate army in early July. Among them were two regiments, the First and Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles. These two regiments were formed into a brigade of Arkansas units under the command of Brigadier General Ben McCulloch, who oversaw the organization of these two special regiments at a rendezvous point near Bentonville (Benton County). He intended to use the Arkansas Mounted Rifles as a unique battalion that could not only ride with regular cavalry on horseback but also dismount and fight as infantry. McCulloch also felt that the Arkansas Mounted Rifles would make excellent scouts, given their familiarity with the territory. Their duties in the Civil War, however, carried them into action in several pivotal battles of the war in Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and as far east as North Carolina.

On August 10, 1861, at the Battle of Wilson’s Creek (also known as the Battle of Oak Hills) in Missouri, the Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles, organized under the command of Colonel James McIntosh, saw action on the Confederate right when they jumped a fence and drove off an attack by Federal troops under General Franz Sigel, capturing Sigel’s cannons in the process. The First Arkansas Mounted Rifles, originally organized in Little Rock (Pulaski County) on June 16, 1861, by future governor Colonel Thomas J. Churchill, were also in the thick of this fight, and Federal troops were pushed back and forced to retreat to Springfield, Missouri. In late December 1861, James McIntosh and the Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles participated in driving off a contingent of Federal Indian forces near present-day Skiatook, Oklahoma. Afterward, Confederate forces, including the First and Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles, wintered near Van Buren (Crawford County).

The Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles were again dismounted and saw action on the first day of the Battle of Pea Ridge, March 7, 1862, while the First Arkansas Mounted Rifles did not neither participated in the fighting the following day. With the Confederates repulsed and McCulloch and McIntosh killed, General Earl Van Dorn retreated back south, where he reorganized McCulloch’s Arkansas Division, including the Arkansas Mounted Rifles, as the First Division under General Price. The First and Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles were listed as part of “McIntosh’s Cavalry” in the Fourth Brigade of the First Division.

Farther east, Union forces were pressing into southern Tennessee. Van Dorn was ordered to bring his army east to join up with Confederate forces under Confederate generals P. G. T. Beauregard and Albert Sidney Johnston. Van Dorn’s forces did not arrive in time to participate in the bloody Battle of Shiloh (April 6–7). The trip east was slow-going, and the division to which the Arkansas Mounted Rifles were attached only arrived in Des Arc (Prairie County) in early April. As forage for horses was scarce, the Arkansas Mounted Rifles were dismounted at Des Arc and fought as infantry for the rest of the war. By April 11, Van Dorn’s forces finally arrived at Memphis, Tennessee, but Confederate forces had been defeated at Shiloh four days earlier. From Memphis, Van Dorn’s army made its way to Corinth, Mississippi, and was incorporated into Beauregard’s army. On May 9, Beauregard ordered an attack on the Federal left near Farmington, Mississippi. Both regiments of the Arkansas Mounted Rifles participated in this action, but the Confederates were unable to move Halleck’s troops from the field. The First and Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles were soon thereafter assigned to the Second Division of General Braxton Bragg’s Army of the West, commanded by Major General John Porter McCown.

On July 21, Bragg moved half his army to Chattanooga, Tennessee, to begin his invasion of that state and Kentucky, leaving the other half in central Mississippi under Van Dorn and General Sterling Price. During what came to be called the Kentucky Campaign, the Arkansas Mounted Rifles participated in the battles at Richmond and Perryville before Bragg was forced to retreat back into eastern Tennessee in October 1862. While encamped in the Cumberland Gap, the Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles’ commander, Colonel Harris Flanagin, was elected in absentia by Confederate Arkansans to be the seventh governor of Arkansas. Flanagin resigned his commission on October 25 and was replaced by Lieutenant Colonel James A. Williamson.

In November, Bragg moved his forces to strategic positions around Murfreesboro, Tennessee. On December 31, 1862, these forces fought in the Battle of Murfreesboro. The First and Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles served in Brigadier General Evander McNair’s brigade on the Confederate left. Southern forces were unable to dislodge Major General Rosecrans’s Federal troops. That night, Bragg withdrew his forces south to Tullahoma, Tennessee. The Arkansas Mounted Rifles spent the winter encamped near Shelbyville, Tennessee.

In May 1863, Confederate General Joe Johnston was ordered to Mississippi to take command of all Southern forces resisting the Federal siege of Vicksburg. The Arkansas Mounted Rifles, still assigned to McNair’s Brigade, were with him. Johnston spent the spring months skirmishing and trying to maneuver his army of 30,000 into a position best suited to assist Southern forces trapped in Vicksburg, but on July 4, 1863, Vicksburg surrendered to Federal forces under General Ulysses S. Grant. Johnston decided a counterattack was not feasible with his ill-equipped and hungry troops and thus evacuated to Brandon, Mississippi. McNair’s Brigade and the Arkansas Mounted Rifles remained there until September.

Meanwhile, General Bragg evacuated his position in Chattanooga, Tennessee, on September 8, 1863. McNair’s and Gregg’s brigades of Johnston’s army were ordered north to assist Bragg. The Arkansas Mounted Rifles arrived in time to participate in the bloody Battle of Chickamauga (September 19–20, 1863). Assigned to Confederate general James Longstreet’s corps on the Confederate left, the Arkansas Mounted Rifles and the rest of McNair’s Brigade were in the thick of the battle, and the brigade earned the title “The Star Brigade of Chickamauga” for their valor, though Southern forces were finally driven from the field. McNair’s Brigade and the Arkansas Mounted Rifles were sent back to Enterprise, Mississippi, where they spent the fall and winter.

On May 4, 1864, Union general William T. Sherman began his march to Atlanta, Georgia. The First and Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles, though now assigned to separate brigades in Joe Johnston’s Army of Tennessee, participated in the numerous engagements fought to stave off Sherman’s invading force. The Arkansas Mounted Rifles saw action at Dug Gap, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, Moore’s Mill, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, and Ezra Church, where the Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles lost all their field officers by the end of the battle. By August 31, Sherman had laid siege to Atlanta for nearly a month. The Battle of Jonesboro finally wore down Confederate resistance, and Atlanta fell on September 1. The Arkansas Mounted Rifles continued to fight with General John Bell Hood, who had replaced Johnston, in the disastrous battles of Franklin (November 30, 1864) and Nashville (December 15, 1864), in which the Army of Tennessee was all but annihilated.

The Arkansas Mounted Rifles were sent to fight once again under Johnston, this time in the Carolinas. Both the First and Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles were joined with the Fourth, Ninth, and Twenty-fifth Arkansas Infantry Regiments to form the First Arkansas Consolidated Mounted Rifles, though they still fought on foot. In their final battle, they served under Johnston against General Sherman at Bentonville, North Carolina, on March 19, 1865. The unit surrendered on April 26, 1865.

There were several notable Arkansans who fought with the Arkansas Mounted Rifles. Colonel Harris Flanagin served as the Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles commander until elected governor of Arkansas in October 1863. Thomas Spence, sheriff of Clark County, also enlisted in the Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles and was killed in the Battle of Murfreesboro. James Philip Eagle was deputy sheriff of Prairie County when war broke out and enlisted as a private in the Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles. Eagle went on to be elected the sixteenth governor of Arkansas in 1888. The First Arkansas Mounted Rifles was organized by Thomas James Churchill. He rose from the rank of colonel to major general by the end of the war and was in command of Arkansas Post (Arkansas County) when it fell to a Federal force on January 11, 1863. He was later elected the thirteenth governor of Arkansas in 1881.

For additional information:
Allen, Desmond Walls. First Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles. Conway, AR: D. W. Allen, 1988.

Christ, Mark K., ed. Getting Used to Being Shot At: The Spence Family Civil War Letters. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2002.

“Field Officers and Staff, 2nd Arkansas Mounted Rifles, Confederate States of America.” Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Homepage. http://www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/2ndmtf&s.html (accessed June 15, 2020).

Leeper, Wesley Thurman. Rebels Valiant: Second Arkansas Mounted Rifles (Dismounted). Little Rock, AR: Pioneer Press, 1964.

Piston, William Garrett. “‘When the Arks. Boys goes by they take the rags off the bush’: Arkansans in the Wilson’s Creek Campaign of 1861.” In The Die is Cast: Arkansas Goes to War, 1861, edited by Mark K. Christ. Little Rock: Butler Center Books, 2010.

Case D. Miner
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

John McNair

From Legacy of the Committed by Ruth Jane Trivette (p. 4): "Between 1768 and 1771 approximately sixteen hundred Highlanders settled in the greater Cape Fear region of North Carolina which had been designated as the "Scotch Settlement." In the summer of 1770 it is recorded that fifty-four shiploads of Highlanders migrated from the Western Isles. Among them was John MacNair, the father of Laurel Hill Church's second pastor. Mr. MacNair left the following account: "I am a native of Scotland, was born in the Year of Our Lord 1735, in (missing), a small village of that name in the Parish of Kilkenny in the Shire of Argyle, North Britain. I was the youngest son of Neill MacNair. My mother's name was Sally McGill. I was married to Jannet Smylie, daughter of John Smylie, December 1763. My oldest son, Roderick was born October 1764. My daughter, Betsy was born January 1766. My third child, Neill was born in 1768. My first wife died September same year. I came to North Carolina in America in the year 1770 and bought a plantation at Hitchcock in Anson County (now Richmond) and lived there some time. I married my second wife, Catherine Buie McFarland, daughter of Donald Buie from Jura Scotland in 1772. My eldest daughter, Sallie by my second wife was born in 1773. My first son by my second wife, Malcom was born August 1776. My second wife died August 1787."

From Legacy of the Committed by Ruth Jane Trivette (p. 29): "Malcolm's father was described as "very pious" and was an elder in Centre Presbyterian Church. He was also a Royal Arch Mason."

Tombstone Inscription: Here lie the bodies of John McNair & Catherine McNair his wife, he departed this life June 30th 1819, aged 84. And she in August 1787, aged 51.

Female descendants of John McNair qualify for membership in the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution based on his having rendered aid for which he received payment in 1783. (NC Revolutionary Army Accounts, Vol V, p. 56, folio 3)

Descendants of Neill McNair

1. Neill 1 McNair was born and died in Scotland. He married Sarah McGill. She was born and died in Scotland.

Children of Neill McNair and Sarah McGill are:

+ 3 ii. John McNair, born 1735 in Parish of Kilkenny, Shire of Argyle, North Brittian died 30 Jun 1819 in Cowpers Hill, near Maxton, Robeson County, NC.

3. John 2 McNair (Neill 1 ) was born 1735 in Parish of Kilkenny, Shire of Argyle ,North Brittian 1,2,3,4 , and died 30 Jun 1819 in Robeson County, NC 5,6,7,8,9 . He married (1) Jennet Smylie Dec 1763 in Scotland 10,11,12,13 , daughter of John Smylie. She died Sep 1769 in Kilkenny, Argylshire, Scotland 14,15,16 . He married (2) Catherine Buie 1772 in Cumberland County, NC 17,18,19 , daughter of Donald Buie. She was born Abt. 1735 in Jura, Argylshire, Scotland 20 , and died Aug 1787 in Robeson County, NC 20,21,22,23,24 . Both John & Catherine are buried in McFarland Cemetery, near Laurel Hill Presbyterian Church, Richmond (now Scotland) Co, NC.

Children of John McNair and Jennet Smylie are:

+ 4 i. Rhoderick 3 McNair, born Oct 1764 in Argyl Shire, Scotland died 06 Apr 1839 in Robeson Co, NC.

5 ii. Betsey McNair, born Jan 1766 in Argyleshire, Scotland 25,26 .

6 iii. Neil McNair, born Jan 1768 in Argyleshire, Scotland 27,28 died Dec 1769 in Argyleshire, Scotland 28 .

Children of John McNair and Catherine Buie are:

+ 7 i. Sarah Ann 3 McNair, born 1773 in NC died in Union Church, Jefferson Co, MS.

+ 8 ii. Malcom McNair, Rev., born 24 Aug 1776 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC died 04 Aug 1822 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC.

4. Rhoderick 3 McNair (John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born Oct 1764 in Argyl Shire, Scotland 29,30,31 , and died 06 Apr 1839 in Robeson Co, NC 32,33,34 . He married Mary McGill. She was born 1773 in Robeson Co, NC, and died 06 Mar 1857 in Robeson Co, NC 35 . Both are buried in McFarland Cemetery, near Laurel Hill Presbyterian Church, Richmond (now Scotland) Co, NC.

Children of Rhoderick McNair and Mary McGill are:

9 i. Neill 4 McNair, born 22 Sep 1795 in Robeson Co, NC died Abt. 1801.

10 ii. Jennet McNair, born 19 Jun 1797 in Robeson Co, NC died 03 Jun 1873.

11 iii. Margaret McNair, born 02 Jul 1799 in Robeson Co, NC died 27 Apr 1852. She married John Smith.

+ 12 iv. Elizabeth McNair, born 30 May 1801 in Robeson Co, NC died 15 Jul 1832.

+ 13 v. Mary McNair, born 31 Dec 1803 in North Carolina died 16 Jan 1878 in Reilly Springs, Hopkins Co, TX.

14 vi. Sarah Ann McNair, born 15 Dec 1805 died 18 Dec 1879.

15 vii. John McNair, born 25 May 1808 in North Carolina 36 died 1890 in Prob. Robeson Co, NC. He married Anabella McNair 28 Aug 1843 in Robeson Co, NC 37 born Bet. 1815 - 1816 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC 38,39 died 20 Oct 1891 in Prob. Robeson Co, NC.

16 viii. Evander McNair, born 07 Apr 1811 in North Carolina died 11 Jan 1886 in Prob. Robeson Co, NC.

17 ix. Neill McNair, born 19 Sep 1814 in Robeson Co, NC. He married Elizabeth A. Harlee 1849.

7. Sarah Ann 3 McNair (John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 1773 in NC 40,41,42 , and died in Union Church, Jefferson Co, MS. She married Peter Wikinson Abt. 1794 in North Carolina 43 . He was born Abt. 1764, and died 1860 in Union Church, Jefferson Co, MS. They are both buried at Union Church Presbyterian Cemetery, Jefferson Co, MS.

Children of Sarah McNair and Peter Wikinson are:

23 vi. Nancy Elizabeth Wikinson.

8. Rev. Malcom 3 McNair (John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 24 Aug 1776 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC 44,45,46,47 , and died 04 Aug 1822 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC 48,49,50,51,52,53,54 . He married Jennet Little Bef. 1810 55,56 , daughter of Neil Little and Jane Dickson. She was born 1791 in Petersburg, VA 57,58,59 , and died 23 Jun 1879 in Robeson Co, NC 60 . Rev. McNair is buried in McFarland Cemetery, Richmond (now Scotland) Co, NC. Jennet Little is buried at Centre Presbyterian Church, Robeson Co, NC.

Rev. Malcom McNair Census Records
1810 Robeson Co, NC Census, p. 218
1820 Robeson Co, NC Census, p. 294

Jennet Little McNair Census Records
1850 Robeson Co, NC Census, Upper Division, #75-75
1860 - Enumerated in the Robeson Co, NC household of her son Murphy C. McNair

Children of Rev. Malcom McNair and Jennet Little are:

+ 25 i. Eliza Jane 4 McNair, born 1811 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC died 15 Jul 1869 in Laurel Hill, Neshoba County, MS.

+ 26 ii. Catherine Buie McNair, born 26 Aug 1812 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC died 08 Feb 1883 in Alabama.

27 iii. Anabella McNair, born Bet. 1819 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC 61,62 died 20 Oct 1891 in Robeson Co, NC. She married John McNair 28 Aug 1843 in Robeson Co, NC 63 born 25 May 1808 in North Carolina 64 died 1890 in Prob. Robeson Co, NC.

1850 Robeson Co, NC Census, Southern Division, p. 413, #928-928, Farmer, 3000
1880 Robeson Co, NC Census, Thomsons, p. 616C, Farmer

+ 28 iv. Murphy Calvin McNair, born 18 Apr 1818 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC died 11 Jan 1881 in Robeson Co, NC.

12. Elizabeth 4 McNair (Rhoderick 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 30 May 1801 in Robeson Co, NC, and died 15 Jul 1832. She married Duncan McNair.

Children of Elizabeth McNair and Duncan McNair are:

29 i. Duncan 5 McNair, died 17 Sep 1863. He married Mollie Ramsey 10 Jan 1860.

30 ii. Malcolm McNair, born 18 Dec 1826 died 11 Jul 1862.

31 iii. Rory McNair, born 01 Aug 1828 died 15 Dec 1868.

32 iv. Robert Morrison McNair, born 02 May 1830 died 11 Aug 1902. He married Rebecca Jane McCallum 27 Jan 1859 born 17 Nov 1836 died 31 Jan 1904.

13. Mary 4 McNair (Rhoderick 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 31 Dec 1803 in North Carolina 65,66 , and died 16 Jan 1878 in Reilly Springs, Hopkins Co, TX. She married Neill McDonald, son of John McDonald and Margaret McDougal. He was born 18 Sep 1803 in North Carolina 66 , and died 22 Jun 1852 in Neshoba County, MS. He is buried in Old Carolina Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.

1850 Neshoba Co, MS Census #392-411

Children of Mary McNair and Neill McDonald are:

+ 33 i. Jane Smiley 5 McDonald, born Abt. 1831 died 22 May 1869 in Hopkins Co, TX.

34 ii. Margaret McDonald, born Abt. 1834 in North Carolina 66 .

+ 35 iii. Mary Eliza McDonald, born 15 Nov 1835 in North Carolina died in Riley Springs, TX.

36 iv. John R. McDonald, born Bet. 1838 - 1839 in North Carolina 67,68 .

37 v. Evander McDonald, born Bet. 1839 - 1840 in Mississippi 69,70 .

38 vi. Caroline McDonald, born Bet. 1842 - 1843 in Mississippi 71,72 .

39 vii. Neill Archibald McDonald, born Bet. 1845 - 1846 in Mississippi 73,74 .

40 viii. William Paisley McDonald, born Bet. 1847 - 1848 in Mississippi 75,76 .

25. Eliza Jane 4 McNair (Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born Bet. 1810 - 1814 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC 77,78 , and died 15 Jul 1869 in Laurel Hill, Neshoba County, MS 79,80 . She married Hugh McDonald 25 Feb 1839 in Robeson Co, NC 81 , son of Daniel McDonald and Flora Douglas. He was born 13 Feb 1813 in Chesterfield Co, SC 82,83,84,85,86,87,88 , and died 12 Jun 1894 in Laurel Hill, Neshoba County, MS 89,90,91 . They are buried in Old Carolina Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.

1850 Neshoba Co, MS Census #439-459
1860 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Laurel HIll PO Township 10 Range 10 #870-899

Children of Eliza McNair and Hugh McDonald are:

+ 41 i. Catherine L. 5 McDonald, born 19 Nov 1839 in Neshoba Co, MS died 07 Feb 1902 in Neshoba or Leake Co, MS.

+ 42 ii. Frances Annabella McDonald, born 12 Mar 1842 in Neshoba Co, MS died 03 Mar 1888 in Neshoba Co, MS.

+ 43 iii. Hugh W. McDonald, born 15 Dec 1844 died 08 May 1897 in Neshoba Co, MS.

44 iv. Malcolm D McDonald, born 29 Sep 1846 in Neshoba Co, MS 92,93 died 26 Jan 1858 in Neshoba Co, MS 94,95 .

+ 45 v. John D McDonald, born 02 Mar 1849 in Mississippi died 22 Nov 1876 in Neshoba County, Ms/Carolina Cemetary.

+ 46 vi. James M McDonald, born 24 Sep 1851 in Neshoba Co, MS died 15 Mar 1883 in Neshoba Co, MS.

47 vii. Marsellus A. McDonald 96 , born Abt. 1855 in Mississippi 97,98,99 .

26. Catherine Buie 4 McNair (Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 26 Aug 1812 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC 100,101,102 , and died 08 Feb 1883 in Alabama 102 . She married Col. Archibald Sellers MacKay 29 Oct 1835 in Cowper Hill, Robeson Co, NC 103 . He was born 25 Sep 1808 in Richmond Co, NC 104 , and died 02 Dec 1865 in Henry Co, AL 104 .

Marriage & Death Notices 1816 - 1840 Abstracted from the Fayetteville Observer - November 5, 1835
Married at Cowper Hill, Robeson county on the 29th, Col. Archibald S. McKay to Miss Catharine B. McNair, daughter of the Rev. Malcom McNair, deceased.

Child of Catherine Buie McNair and Col. Archibald Sellers MacKay is:

48 i. Francis Naomi 5 MacKay.

28. Murphy Calvin 4 McNair (Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 18 Apr 1818 in Maxton, Robeson Co, NC 105,106,107 , and died 11 Jan 1881 in Robeson Co, NC 108,109 . He married Margaret Elizabeth Stubbs 23 Mar 1848 110 , daughter of Campbell Stubbs and Unknown. She was born 09 Dec 1830 in Marlboro Co, SC 111,112 , and died 16 Feb 1892 in Robeson Co, NC 113 . They are buried at Centre Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Robeson Co, NC.

Pictured Right: Margaret Elizabeth Stubbs. Photo courtesy of Jim Patterson

1860 Robeson Co, NC Census, #993-956
1880 Robeson Co, NC Census, Shoe Hill, p. 562B, Farmer

Children of Murphy Calvin McNair and Margaret Elizabeth Stubbs are:

2 i. Malcom A. 2 McNair, born 12 Feb 1849 in Robeson Co, NC. He married Alice Keils Pictured Right: Malcom A. McNair. Photo Courtesy of Jim Patterson

+ 3 ii. Caroline Virginia McNair, born 02 Oct 1850 in Robeson Co, NC died 25 Jun 1915.

4 iii. Charles Bleck McNair, born 16 Oct 1852 in Robeson Co, NC died 26 Dec 1895 in Robeson Co, NC.

5 iv. John Laurence McNair, born 23 Dec 1854 in Robeson Co, NC died 11 May 1889.

6 v. Murphy McNair, born 07 Dec 1856 in Robeson Co, NC died 25 Apr 1905. He married Loula McNeill 21 Jul 1881.

7 vi. Walter S. McNair, born 04 Feb 1859 in Robeson Co, NC died 21 Dec 1911. He married Mary Smith 16 Oct 1884.

8 vii. Estelle McNair, born 11 Feb 1861 in Robeson Co, NC. She married James T. Eason.

+ 9 viii. Howard Campbell McNair, born 23 Oct 1863 in Robeson Co, NC.

10 ix. Frederick Nash McNair, born 13 Oct 1866 in Robeson Co, NC died 23 Jun 1883 in Robeson Co, NC.

11 x. Jennie Elzabeth McNair, born 18 Mar 1869 in Robeson Co, NC.

12 xi. Augustus McNair, born 10 Apr 1871 in Robeson Co, NC. He married Cammie McCaskill 18 Jan 1911.

33. Jane Smiley 5 McDonald (Mary 4 McNair, Rhoderick 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born Abt. 1831, and died 22 May 1869 in Hopkins Co, TX. She married Thomas Joseph Thadius Stribling. She is buried in Reilly Springs Cemetery, Reilly Springs, TX.

Child of Jane McDonald and Thomas Stribling is:

59 i. Thomas Edwin 6 Stribling, died 06 Jul 1939 in Blue Ridge, TX 128 .

35. Mary Eliza 5 McDonald (Mary 4 McNair, Rhoderick 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 15 Nov 1835 in North Carolina 129 , and died in Riley Springs, TX. She married Wesley Lewis. He was born 18 Feb 1835 in Leake Co, MS, and died 21 May 1901 in Neshoba County, MS/Carolina Cemetary. He is buried in Old Carolina Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.

Child of Mary McDonald and Wesley Lewis is:

60 i. Sarah Roberta 6 Lewis, born Jan 1858 in Mississippi 130 died 30 Jun 1914. She married Thomas Henry Luby Abt. 1880 130 born 15 Mar 1847 in Tipperary Co, Ireland 130 died 26 Jan 1937 in Leake Co, MS.

41. Catherine L. 5 McDonald (Eliza Jane 4 McNair, Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) 131 was born 19 Nov 1839 in Neshoba Co, MS 132,133,134,135,136,137,138 , and died 07 Feb 1902 in Neshoba or Leake Co, MS 139,140 . She married John M. McMillan 1856 in Mississippi 141 , son of Neill McMillan and Mary McDonald. He was born 26 May 1832 in Tuscaloosa Co, AL 142,143,144,145,146,147,148 , and died 30 Aug 1913 in Leake Co, MS 149,150,151 . They are buried in Old Carolina Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.

Children of Catherine L. McDonald and John M. McMillan are:

61 i. William M. 6 McMillan, born 06 May 1858 in Neshoba Co, MS 152 died 10 Oct 1860 in Neshoba Co, MS 152 .

62 ii. James Frank McMillan, born Abt. 1860 in Neshoba Co, MS 153,154 . He married Eula C. Spivey Abt. 1892 in Neshoba Co, MS 155 born Abt. 1871 in Mississipi 155,156 .

63 iii. Mary Anabell McMillan, born 12 Sep 1861 in Leake County, MS 157,158,159,160,161,162,163,164 died 15 Feb 1948 in Neshoba, Neshoba Co, MS 165,166 . She married James Raymond Winfield 167 21 Feb 1878 in Leake Co, MS 168,169,170 born 15 Apr 1855 in Neshoba Co, MS 171,172,173,174,175,176,177,178,179 died 08 Sep 1933 in Newton Co, MS 180 .

64 iv. Hugh N. McMillan, born Jul 1866 in Neshoba Co, MS 181,182,183 . He married Alice Williams 1897 in Mississippi 184 born Sep 1877 in Mississippi 185 .

65 v. John M McMillan, born Apr 1870 in Neshoba Co, MS 186,187,188,189 . He married Katie Barnett 1896 in Mississippi 190 born Oct 1877 in Mississippi 191,192 .

66 vi. Eliza Lydia McMillan, born Jul 1872 193,194 .

67 vii. Murray McMillan, born 05 Jul 1876 195,196,197 died Abt. 1957 in Houston, Harris Co, TX 198 . He married Maggie Ingram.

42. Frances Annabella 5 McDonald (Eliza Jane 4 McNair, Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 12 Mar 1842 in Neshoba Co, MS 199,200,201 , and died 03 Mar 1888 in Neshoba Co, MS. She married Micajah Pope Sanders. He was born 14 Nov 1844 in Georgia 201 , and died 22 Jan 1924.

1870 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, #974-974

Children of Frances Annabella McDonald and Micajah Pope Sanders are:

69 ii. John Sanders, born 24 Apr 1864 died 18 Nov 1945.

70 iii. Hugh Willis Sanders. He married Mattie Thomas.

71 iv. Arantha Sanders, born Abt. 1869 201 .

43. Hugh W. 5 McDonald (Eliza Jane 4 McNair, Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 15 Dec 1844 202,203,204 , and died 08 May 1897 in Neshoba Co, MS 204 . He married Anna Elizabeth Fincher. She was born 20 Jan 1846 204 , and died 13 Nov 1898 in Neshoba Co, MS 204 . They are buried in Old Carolina Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.

Children of Hugh W. McDonald and Anna Elizabeth Fincher are:

74 iii. Fannie Fincher. She married Thurman Hooper.

45. John D 5 McDonald (Eliza Jane 4 McNair, Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 02 Mar 1849 in Mississippi 205,206,207 , and died 22 Nov 1876 in Neshoba County, Ms/Carolina Cemetary 207 . He married Mary Ella Hays Bef. 1870, daughter of Hays. She was born 30 Jun 1852 in Alabama 208 , and died 16 Sep 1907. He is buried in Old Carolina Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.

1870 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4 #916-816

Children of John D. McDonald and Mary Ella Hays are:

77 i. Walter 6 McDonald, died 10 May 1871.

78 ii. Mary McDonald, died 04 Apr 1872.

79 iii. Edna McDonald. She married Oscar M. Mabry.

80 iv. Hugh H McDonald, died 07 Apr 1875 in Neshoba Co, MS 209 .

46. James M 5 McDonald (Eliza Jane 4 McNair, Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 ) was born 24 Sep 1851 in Neshoba Co, MS 210,211 , and died 15 Mar 1883 in Neshoba Co, MS 211 . He married Caroline McNair Bef. 1870. She was born 08 Jun 1853 in Georgia 211 , and died 01 Apr 1883 in Neshoba Co, MS 211 .

Was living in the 1870 Neshoba Co, MS household of his brother John D. McDonald.

Child of James M. McDonald and Caroline McNair is:

81 i. Infant Son 6 McDonald, born 07 Jan 1883 in Neshoba Co, MS 211 died 28 Mar 1883 in Neshoba Co, MS 211 .

50. Caroline Virginia 5 McNair (Murphy C. 4 , Malcom 3 , John 2 , Neill 1 , Edward A ) was born 02 Oct 1850 in Robeson Co, NC 212,213 , and died 25 Jun 1915 213 . She married Thomas Jones Wooten, son of Richard Wooten and Eliza Williams. He was born in Bladen Co, NC.

Child of Caroline Virginia McNair and Thomas Jones Wooten is:

82 i. Frank McNair 6 Wooten. He married Aline Brady.

51. Howard Campbell 2 McNair (Murphy Calvin 1 , Malcom A , John B , Neill C , Edward D ) was born 23 Oct 1863 in Robeson Co, NC. He married Susannah Morrison 12 Jan 1888, daughter of Daniel Morrison and Susannah McLean. She was born 08 Feb 1866, and died 14 Aug 1956.

The Fight at Reed's Bridge

The original legislation that created the Chickamauga portion of the National Military Park authorized the purchase of “7,600 acres, more or less.” Fiscal reality reduced that to about 5,300 acres, and while the battlefield today may seem complete, there are parts of the historic battleground that remain outside the park’s reach. One such area is the scene of the fighting around Reed’s Bridge on September 18.

Much like the opening rounds at Gettysburg, Chickamauga opened with a small Union cavalry force holding off a much larger Confederate advance. Unlike Brig. Gen. John Buford’s troopers in Pennsylvania, however, Col. Robert H. G. Minty and his 973 men had no Federal infantry hurrying to their support. Minty fought a day-long delaying action against Brig. Gen. Bushrod Johnson’s division of Confederate infantry, and, in doing so, derailed the timely execution of Gen. Braxton Bragg’s plan to turn the Union army’s northern flank and crush it in the mountains of North Georgia. The terrain Minty defended still lies unprotected on the eastern threshold of the park.

Minty was expecting trouble on the morning of September 18, and just before dawn sent out two large patrols. A battalion of the 4th U.S. Cavalry, 100 strong, was sent southeast toward Leet’s Tanyard, while a mixed force of similar size drawn from the 4th Michigan and 7th Pennsylvania rode due east toward Ringgold. The rest of the brigade stood to arms at dawn, but when nothing happened went about their regular morning fatigue duties. “Stable Call” was sounded, and the horses were fed and watered. There was even time for a leisurely breakfast and a quiet smoke, according to Sgt. James Larson of the 4th U.S. Cavalry Regiment. The quiet interlude was interrupted about mid-morning when sharp firing broke out to the east.

Capt. Heber S. Thompson of the 7th Pennsylvania commanded the mixed battalion heading toward Ringgold that morning. The troopers collided with Confederate infantry advance near Peavine Creek, where Thompson managed to delay the Rebel advance for some time. Confederate Capt. William Harder, leading Company D of the 23rd Tennessee, recalled that the initial contact broke out near Peeler’s Mill and that the Federal skirmishers retired slowly westward. It was at this moment, just after the initial collision, that Maj. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest arrived with his small mounted force and quickly assumed control over the advance.

Forrest’s arrival marked a curious moment in the course of the day’s events. He was originally ordered to provide cavalry to lead both Johnson’s column and other Rebel forces farther south, but that mission went awry. When he did arrive, accompanied only by his escort and Martin’s Kentuckians, he brought with him no more than 200 troopers. Instead of using them for reconnaissance or maneuver, however, Forrest ordered them to dismount and reinforce the infantry skirmish line. Johnson had plenty of infantry already — more, in fact, than he needed. As later events would demonstrate, Forrest’s men could probably have been better used to threaten the Union flanks.

Minty, meanwhile, had not been idle. Shortly after 10:00 a.m. — perhaps thirty minutes before Forrest’s arrival — he reinforced Captain Thompson with two more battalions, one from the 4th Michigan and another from the 4th U.S. Regulars, plus a section of the Chicago Board of Trade Battery. Taking personal charge of the defense, Minty arrayed the dismounted cavalry in a strong defensive position along the crest of Peavine Ridge. Capt. Henry A. Potter, commanding Company H of the Michiganders, deployed his men on the left of the Pennsylvanians overlooking their old camp at Peeler’s Mill, while the 4th Regulars extended Thompson’s right. Minty’s forward line numbered about 600 men and two guns. What he could not know was that Johnson’s and Forrest’s combined strength numbered several thousand. Johnson, too, was operating largely in the dark. Unsure of the opposition he faced, Johnson deployed three of his four infantry brigades in one front line, holding one back in reserve. He also ordered the Southern artillery to engage Minty’s brace of artillery. Crossing Peavine Creek took some time, but when it reached the west bank, the Confederate infantry began to work around both exposed Federal flanks. After some spirited fighting and a short artillery exchange, Minty began a slow withdrawal toward the bridge.

As he pulled back, Minty sent couriers to Maj. Gens. Crittenden and Rosecrans, reporting the size and strength of the force he had encountered. One sign of movement especially worried Minty: a dust cloud to the northeast suggested that another Confederate column was heading toward Dyer’s Ford, the next crossing site north of Reed’s Bridge. Minty had only a small picket force there, and no additional troops to spare. If a strong Rebel force crossed at Dyer’s Ford, it could move unopposed down the west bank of the creek directly behind him, cutting off his brigade from the rest of the army. Accordingly, Minty also requested help from Col. John T. Wilder, who dispatched the better part of two regiments to help bolster the exposed position.

As Minty pulled back Johnson’s men pursued, with Forrest commanding the advance guard. The rest of Johnson’s Division followed at a supporting distance. Johnson kept his men in line of battle, which made for slow going as they negotiated the wooded and rolling terrain. The slow advance gave Minty the time he needed to fall back and establish a new defensive line near his campsite.

With his camp baggage already packed up and heading to the rear, Minty worked to carefully position his command. The 4th Michigan and 7th Pennsylvania were deployed north of the bridge, where Minty dismounted half of each command as skirmishers. The 4th Regulars were also divided. One squadron was sent with the two guns of the Chicago Board of Trade Battery to take up a position southwest of the bridge, beyond where the creek makes a sharp bend to the west. There, where a “bad ford” crossed the creek, the two guns were hidden in some brush, with the squadron of mounted Regulars in line behind them in support. The other two squadrons of the 4th Regulars were sent to a piece of high ground on the west side of the creek overlooking both the ford and the bridge.

About this time, Johnson’s Confederate infantry arrived to open the next act of the engagement. Once atop Peavine Ridge, Johnson realized he faced but a single brigade and moved to deploy his command for a full attack. His lead brigade under Col. John S. Fulton prepared to charge directly for the bridge, while the brigades of Brig. Gens. John Gregg and Evander McNair moved to the right and left, respectively. Brig. Gen. Jerome B. Robertson’s famous Texas Brigade —the first of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet’s Virginia reinforcements to reach the field — remained in reserve. As the infantry moved into position, two batteries of Confederate artillery renewed their fire against the Yankees.

As the fighting recommenced, Forrest noticed other Federal troops to the south. It appears that he believed there was a guard for Minty’s camp somewhere upstream and decided to go after it. Forrest asked Johnson to loan him the use Lt. Col. Watt W. Floyd’s 17th Tennessee Infantry for this venture. When Johnson acquiesced, Forrest took the whole group, some 600 men, in search of the Union camp. According to Floyd, the column moved about one-half mile south, but “before we got in range, the enemy fled.”

While Forrest moved south, Johnson prepared to attack. Sometime around 2:00 p.m., Fulton’s men made straight for the bridge, hoping to seize it before the Federals escaped. They ran into stiff resistance from the Union skirmishers and the two hidden artillery pieces Minty had placed upstream. As Fulton’s men were faltering, Minty ordered the mounted elements of the 4th Michigan and 7th Pennsylvania to charge the oncoming Confederates, forcing some of them back in temporary confusion. The rest of the Rebel line, however, turned both of Minty’s flanks, forcing him to attempt a repeat of the morning’s disengagement and fall back across the creek.

This time, however, the withdrawal devolved into a bit of a scramble. Minty ordered the 4th Michigan over Reed’s Bridge, which was so rickety and narrow that the troopers had to cross in column of twos. Once across, the Michiganders dismounted and lined the west bank of the creek to cover the 7th Pennsylvania’s retreat. Once all were across, Minty withdrew the battery and lone squadron of the 4th U.S. back by the upstream ford. The two guns made it safely to the west bank and moved back to where the rest of the Regulars had been stationed earlier. They unlimbered again and went back into action. The last squadron of the 4th Regulars, acting as a rear guard, barely got away. Commanded by Lt .Wirt Davis, the two troops were preparing to cross at the ford when Davis noticed that the 7th Pennsylvania was jammed up at the bridge and Rebel infantry was fast closing in. Wheeling his command around, Davis delivered another mounted charge against the Confederates, who fell back just far enough to allow the 7th to finish crossing. With that sharp tactical success under his belt, Davis pulled his own men back across the structure. Davis and the last few troopers halted under fire and tore up the bridge railings and planks, hurling them into the creek and rendering the bridge temporarily unusable.

The men advancing in gray and brown showed equal audacity. According to Capt. Harder of the 23rd Tennessee, his men drove back the 4th Michigan’s skirmish line but could not get across the creek. Under heavy fire, Harder pushed his company forward and ordered his men to repair the bridge as best and as fast as they could. Tearing planks off the Reed house and barn, the bridge was hastily re-floored — despite the best efforts of Union sharpshooters.

Forrest arrived on the scene following his brief ride southward just as the repairs to the bridge were being finished. The cavalry leader congratulated Harder and his Tennesseans for their courage and proceeded to demonstrate a little daring of his own. Crossing the newly replanked bridge, Forrest rode to within 100 yards of the Union line, halted and surveyed it under fire before calmly trotting back to the waiting Confederates. The cool display of courage impressed Harder, who recalled that Forrest “halted, with his accustomed attentive and intentive [sic] manner, took in the situation of the whole line of the federals while discharge after discharge of grape and canister dashed by him.”

With the bridge repaired, Minty’s two guns were unable to prevent the rest of Fulton’s Brigade from crossing. Once on the west bank, the Rebels moved north about 400 yards and formed a line of battle facing the Union line from a distance of about 300 yards. While Fulton held the Yankees’ attention, Johnson attempted another flanking move, this time sending Forrest’s cavalry detachment and another infantry brigade west toward the ford used earlier by the Federal artillery. These Confederates succeeded in reaching the west bank, which threatened Minty’s southern flank and rendered his position untenable.

This new threat was developing when Minty received a report informing him that Col. John T. Wilder, who had been defending Alexander’s Bridge all day, was similarly outflanked. Wilder advised Minty he was falling back to Lee and Gordon’s Mills. Faced with potential encirclement, Minty had no choice but to withdraw. Riding west along the Reed’s Bridge Road toward Rossville, the Federal cavalry turned south on the Lafayette Road and moved to join Thomas Crittenden’s men near Lee and Gordon’s Mill. For the Rebels, it had been a long and tiring day. Nearly 100 men had been killed and wounded in the opening fight at Chickamauga.

Additional Confederate reinforcements arrived as Johnson’s men watched the last of Minty’s command retreat. The first on the scene was Maj. Gen. John Bell Hood, who, although still suffering from his Gettysburg wound, was hurrying forward to take command of the column that included his Texas Brigade. As the senior officer, once on the scene Hood assumed command from Bushrod Johnson. The next and last reinforcement was the belated arrival of Brig. Gen. John Pegram’s cavalry brigade. After observing the fight at Alexander’s Bridge during the afternoon, Pegram’s troopers broke away at some point to move to join Forrest, crossing Chickamauga Creek at Fowler’s Ford. Although the distance could not have been more than two miles, it took Pegram several hours to negotiate its course, and as a result his men contributed almost nothing to either fight.

Col. John M. Harrell, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 10.2, Arkansas Clement Anselm Evans, Ed.

Hide browse bar Your current position in the text is marked in blue. Click anywhere in the line to jump to another position:

This text is part of:
View text chunked by:
Table of Contents:

McCulloch was necessarily delayed in arraying the disorganized detachments which choked the narrow roads— General Pike with his Choctaws, Cherokees and Creeks, Stand Watie 's regiment on foot, D. N. McIntosh 's Creeks on foot, Drew 's Choctaws, pony-mounted, and a ‘squadron,’ as General Pike named it, of mounted whites —in all only 1,000 men. Gen. Douglas Cooper 's Indian command contained Chilly McIntosh , the Creek war chief, and John Jumper , Boudinot , and other celebrated Cherokees, all of whom had come up late on the 6th.

‘It was about 10:30 a. m.,’ says Col. Evander McNair , of the Fourth Arkansas, on the extreme right of Hebert 's (Second) brigade, ‘before that brigade, under the lead of McCulloch , was ordered into action.’ The brigade was composed of the Arkansas regiments of Colonel McIntosh , Colonel McNair and Colonel Mitchell , Hebert 's Third Louisiana, and McRae 's battalion. There were nominally attached to the brigade, Brooks ' Arkansas battalion, Good 's, Hart 's and Provence 's Arkansas batteries, Gaines ' Texas battery, the Third ( Greer 's) Texas cavalry, and Whitfield 's battalion Texas cavalry. The other brigade, called the First brigade, sometimes led by McIntosh , was commanded by Col. Elkanah Greer , of the Third Texas, and was composed of Churchill 's Arkansas rifles, the Second Arkansas regiment, the South Kansas - Texas regiment and three commands of Texas cavalry. Colonel McIntosh usually left the command of his regiment to Lieutenant-Colonel Embry , and forming a brigade of mounted men from the five regiments, led them as cavalry, which was the arm of the service preferred by that dashing soldier. The-colonels of Arkansas regiments, in both of these brigades, had already greatly distinguished themselves.

Tufts University provided support for entering this text.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

Watch the video: Robert McNair