Edward T. Heald

Edward T. Heald

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Edward Heald was born in Hood River Valley in Oregon. He graduated from Oberlin College in 1907 and after marrying Emily Ainsworth of Moline, Illinois, he ran a business in Perria.

He was employed as secretary of the YMCA at Colorado College. He later served in similar posts in Manhattan (Kansas), Toledo (Ohio) and Davenport (Iowa).

During the First World War Heald volunteered to join the YMCA's International Committee. The following month he was sent to Russia where he monitored the treatment of prisoners of war. Heald wrote regularly to his wife and parents while he was in Petrograd. In 1916 he reported on the death of Gregory Rasputin.

On 27th February, 1917, Heald wrote: "Crowds of unarmed strikers and families gathered on the Nevsky Prospect during the day and order was preserved by the Cossacks. We anticipated a repetition of former times of disturbances when women and children were ridden down by the Cossacks. This time, however, they used no violence, but merely rode through the open lanes of the people, while the latter shouted at them 'You're ours' and the Cossacks smiled back."

In May, 1917, Heald commented on the arrival of Vladimir Lenin in the city: "The sudden burst of radical propaganda, which has developed during the past week, is attributed to a man named Lenin who has just arrived from Switzerland. He came through Germany, and rumour is that he was banqueted by Emperor Wilhelm. As he entered the country through Finland, he harangued the soldiers and workingmen along the way with the most revolutionary propaganda."

Heald wrote that he feared that the Bolsheviks would gain control of Russia: "The Bolsheviki were largely the forward, pushing, city type, while the non-Bolsheviki were largely the slow-moving, slow-thinking, good-natured, easy-going, country type. The non-Bolsheviki were on the defensive. They felt no conviction about any cause. They were not hostile to Bolshevism but simply kind of uneasy in their consciences about it. The Bolsheviki seemed to sense that fact and directed their attack to overcome that uneasiness."

Edward Heald left the country after the Russian Revolution. While he had been in Petrograd he had written virtually every day to his wife and parents. These letters were later published as Witness to Revolution: Letters from Russia 1916-1919.

Much talk and excitement about Rasputin's murder. His body was taken from the Neva yesterday, within a mile of a bridge which I walked over coming back from the Mayak an hour after his body had been thrown in.

Crowds of unarmed strikers and families gathered on the Nevsky Prospect during the day and order was preserved by the Cossacks. This time, however, they used no violence, but merely rode through the open lanes of the people, while the latter shouted at them "You're ours" and the Cossacks smiled back.

We were told that the cordial feeling existed the previous day between the soldiers and the strikers had changed owing to the fact that one of the officers had been killed. The police still had control of the situation at least in the centre of the city. There were reports, however, that there were three hundred thousand armed strikers on the outskirts in the factory districts, and that when they could stop them. We also heard that the government had brought in quantities of ammunition, machine guns, armored automobiles, and tanks as well as large numbers of Cossacks to meet the emergency.

Probably the predominant impression that an American received from the events of the day was the self-restraint and order of the soldiers, as well as the workingmen. There were cases of killing and bloodshed, and during the day many were taken to the hospitals; but considering the size of the revolution and the number of men and soldiers engaged in the struggle, the amount of bloodshed was small. Outside of the destruction of property of the police districts, the officer's quarters, and the homes of the suspected aristocracy, there was little looting.

The sudden burst of radical propaganda, which has developed during the past week, is attributed to a man named Lenin who has just arrived from Switzerland. As he entered the country through Finland, he harangued the soldiers and workingmen along the way with the most revolutionary propaganda. One of the Americans who came through on the same train told us how disheartening it was. Lenin's first words when he got off the train at Petrograd were "Hail to the Civil war." God knows what a task the Provisional Government has on hand without adding the trouble that such a firebrand can create.

The Petrograd Soviet was still in session when the Peasants' Convention opened up. Madame Breshkovskaya, the "Grandmother of the Revolution", who has recently returned from the long exile in Siberia, made a strong appeal for real democracy, and the peasants came back strong for democracy and against the radical Bolsheviki. The latter only got two or three votes out of eight hundred.

In the Petrograd Soviet a radical, who had just arrived from New York, by the name of Trotsky, got up and made a demagogic appeal for the overthrow of the Duma and for the putting of the Soviet in power as the government. But the great leaders of the meeting, Kerensky, Tseretelli and Plekhanov, were against him, and the Soviet voted for participation in the Duma Government and a new cabinet by a large majority.

The Bolsheviki were largely the forward, pushing, city type, while the non-Bolsheviki were largely the slow-moving, slow-thinking, good-natured, easy-going, country type. The Bolsheviki seemed to sense that fact and directed their attack to overcome that uneasiness.

The Edward T. Jones family of Sunshine, Colorado: Photo 8

Carnegie Branch Library for Local History is temporarily closed.
Basic research and scanning services are available by emailing [email protected]

The Edward T. Jones family of Sunshine, Colorado

19 photographs, 15 views (6 digitized).

Portraits of the Edward T. Jones family. This collection includes photographs and tintypes.

Photo 1 - Ann Thomas, mother of Mary Ann Thomas Jones.
Photo 2 - John E. Jones.
Photos 3 through 7 - Mary Ann Thomas Jones (1 tintype and 4 portraits, only photo 7 digitized).
Photo 8 - Mary Ann Thomas Jones and granddaughter, Betha Jones, the early 1890s.
Photo 9 - Tintype of Mary Ann Thomas Jones and daughter-in-law, Emily Jones (not digitized).
Photo 10 -Tintype of Edward Jones and three hunting companions, posed with guns (not digitized).
Photo 11 -Tintype of Edward Jones (not digitized).
Photo 12 - Edward Jones (three copies, including one hand colored tintype).
Photos 13 and 14 - Tintypes of Emily Ella Mayne Jones (not digitized).
Photo 15 - "Little Ed" (nephew Edward H. Jones?), Earl VanKeuren and Ed Jones standing at the corner store where the upper and lower roads connect in 1913.

RIGHTS: The historic photographs and documents, with the Source BHS, belong to the Boulder Historical Society/Museum of Boulder and require attribution when used. These items are on permanent loan to the Carnegie Library for Local History. No duplicated materials may be deposited, or placed on file in any other archive, museum, library or similar repository. Questions of copyright are the responsibility of the user.


Diesel engines! Those two words ex press the central theme of Professor Ed ward T. Vincent's professional life, for he has been working on the design of Diesel engines since the days he spent in His Majesty's Dockyards.

Born in Gillingham (it's pronounced "Jillingham"), Kent, England, and he had a long and varied education. After prep aratory school, he took a four year engineering course in His Majesty's Dockyard, Chatham, during which he was awarded Admiralty prizes. Two years at the Gillingham Technical Institute were followed by post graduate work at the Imperial College of Science and Technology in London. While there, he gained further honors, including the Tyndall Prize in Physics of the Royal College of Science and the Whitworth Scholarship, under which he conducted three years of research on Diesel engines.

After holding several positions in His Majesty's Dockyard and at the Admiralty Engineering Laboratory, Vincent accepted a position as Chief Experimental Engineer for Messrs. William Beardmore and Company at Glasgow. While there, he had charge of the development of the first aircraft Diesel engine built in Great Britain, used in the dirigible R-101. To take a job as Research Engineer for the Emsco Aero Engine Company in Los Angeles, he crossed the ocean in 1928. Incidentally, Professor Vincent had taken time to get married in 1917, and when he sailed, his wife and four- year-old son came along. (Today that son plans to be an engineer, but is "pretty busy" starring on the University High School swimming team.) Among their first impressions of this country were the higher room temperatures and the rougher and slower railroads.

After another move, this time to take over as Chief Engineer of the Diesel Engine Division of Continental Motors Corporation, he became Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan in 1937.

Actual Sons of the American Revolution

Private, Capt. Phineas Stearn’s Company served at the fortifying of Dorchester Heights, March, 1776 also on guard-duty at the powder-house, Watertown, Oct., 1777-April, 1778, and July, 1778-July, 1779.
George Arthur Tainter.

JONATHAN TARBELL, Danvers &mdash 1742 – 1795

Sergeant, Capt. Samuel Epes’ Company of minute-men, which fought the British troops on their retreat from Concord and Lexington, April 19, 1775 also Lieutenant, Eight Company, Eighth Massachusetts Regiment of militia, April 2, 1776.
Nathan M. Hawkes.

BENJAMIN TARR, Junior, Gloucester &mdash 1726 – 1814

Second Lieutenant in Capt. Joseph Whipple’s Company for seacost defence at Gloucester and Manchester.
Albert Dodge, Junior.

JABEZ TARR, Gloucester &mdash 1759 – 1844

Private in a Company of minute-men before the battle of Lexington and Concord enlisted for eight months in Capt. Rowe’s Company, Col. Birdge’s Regiment of militia, and served as coast guard at night until April 30, 1775 May 1, marched to Mystic remained encamped there until June 16, when the Company marched to Breed’s Hill helped build the fort and was in the battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1775 re-enlisted Jan. 10, 1776, for one year as Corporal in Capt. Swasey’s Company, Col. Glover’s Regiment stationed at Beverly until after the British evacuated Boston then marched to New York had skirmishes with the British at King’s Bridge, and was in the battle of White Plains he again enlisted as Prize Master’s Mate on board the “Gloucester Packet” of fourteen guns, and served Jan.-June, 1782 pensioned.
Albert Dodge, Junior.

DAVID TERRY, Wiscasset, Maine &mdash 1737 –

Private, Capt. Davis’ Company, Col. E. Wigglesworth’s Regiment (Thirteenth Continental) enlisted, Feb., 1777, for three years was in battles preceding the surrender of Burgoyne, Oct., 1777 also Monmouth, June 28, 1778, and in Rhode Island, same year.
Frederic Ruthven Bogardus.

JOHN TERRY, Newcastle, Maine &mdash 1760 – 1835

Seaman having previously served three months on the “Rolla,” he shipped on the “Alliance,” Capt. Landers, Oct., 1778, bound for the English Channel, the Mediterranean, and France took many prizes and exchanged their prisoners for Americans confined in Mill Prison, and brought them to Boston.
Frederic Ruthven Bogardus.

JAMES TEWKSBURY, Chelsea &mdash 1745 – 1800

Private, Capt. Samuel Sprague’s Company of minute-men one of the seventeen from his company who kept guard at Pullin Point, April 19-May 16, 1775.
Horace Stuart Cummings.

Captain in Col. John Fellows’ Massachusetts Regiment May-Dec., 1775 marched from Williamsburg with a detachment of minute-men at the Lexington alarm stationed at Roxbury during the siege of Boston.
James Turner Ball.

JERMIAH THAYER, Richmond, New Hampshire &mdash 1750 – 1755

Private, Capt. Oliver Capron’s Company, Col. Doolittle’s Mass. Regiment served at the siege of Boston, June-Nov., 1775 at the battle of Bunker Hill.
James Franklin Thayer.

JOHN THOMPSON, Bridgewater &mdash 1826 to 1832

Private, Capt. Hayden’s Company of minute-men, Col. Bailey’s Regiment, which marched at the Lexington alarm re-enlisted June 8, 1776, in Capt. Prentiss’ Company, Col. Marshall’s Regiment, raised for the defence of Boston also Capt. Packard’s Company, Col. Carpenter’s Regiment service at Rhode Island, 1778 Sergeant, same Company, Major Cary’s Regiment, which marched to Tiverton, Rhode Island, on an alarm, July 30-Aug. 9, 1780 enlisted in Col. John Bailey’s Regiment, Jan. 25, 1782, to re-enforce the Continental Army.
William Otis Cutter.

WILLIAM THOMPSON, Paxton (Ward) &mdash 1758 – 1816

Private in the Major’s Company, Col. Putnam’s Regiment, Continental Army mustered April 24, 1780.
Leon H. Thompson.

SAMUEL THRALL, Windsor, Connecticut &mdash 1737 – 1821

Quartermaster, Third Regiment, Hampshire County militia, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Robinson, which marched to Ticonderoga to re-enforce the garrison served Oct.-Nov., 1776 also Captin, Col. Willett’s Regiment, which served on the Mohwak River expedition, Aug.-Nov., 1781.
J. Brainerd Thrall.

WILLIAM THURLO, Fitchburg &mdash 1744 – 1784

Lieutenant, Capt. Bridge’s Company, Col. Whitcomb’s Regiment, which marched to Cambridge at the Lexington alarm, and served fifteen days also Ensign, Capt. Stearns’ Company, Col. Doolittle’s Regiment, at the siege of Boston Second Lieutenant at Winter Hill also Captain, Second Company, Eighth Regiment militia, March, 1776 also Captain, Col. Bridge’s Regiment at Saratoga, Sept., 1777 at Rhode Island, July-Sept., 1778.
Oscar F. Burbank

JERMIAH TILTON, Sanbornton, New Hamsphire &mdash 1762 – 1822

Private, New Hampshire Regiment, Continental Army at West Point, July-Dec. 1780 his widow was pensioned.
Fred George Tilton.

NATHAN TILTON, Newburyport

Private, Capt. Moses Nowell’s Company served on seacoast defence at Newburyport, July-Nov., 1775.
Winthrop Atkinson Hilton.


Lieutenant, Capt. Josiah Harris’ Company, Col. Gardner’s Regiment, June, 1775, at the battle of Bunker Hill also Private, Capt. Jsoeph Hooker’s Company, Col. Woodbridge’s Regiment.
Lewis Francis Trow.

JOHN TROWBRIDGE, Groton &mdash 1762 – 1828

Drummer, Capt. Joseph Boynton’s Company, Col. Nathaniel Wade’s Regiment, July 6, 1778-Jan. 1, 1779, served at Rhode Island also Capt. Edmund Munroe’s Company, Col. Timothy Bigelow’s (Fifteenth Massachusetts) Regiment, July 1, 1779-April 20, 1780 also Capt. Joshua Benson’s Light Infantry Company, Col. Rufus Putnam’s (Fifth Massachusetts) Regiment, July 8, 1780-Jan. 9, 1781 children pensioned.
Edward Allyn Trowbridge.

EPHRAIM TUCKER, Pomfret, Connecticut &mdash 1745 – 1782

Private, Capt. Caleb Clark’s (First) Company, Eleventh Regiment, Connecticut militia marched to Westchester, New York.
Elmer G. Tucker.

Private, Capt. Joseph Soper’s Company, which marched to Marshfield, April 20, 1775 also served, May-Aug., 1775, and in Col. Whitney’s Regiment, Nov., 1775 also Capt. Nathaniel Winslow’s Company, Feb., 1776 also Corporal, Capt. Ichabod Bonney’s Company discharged Dec. 11, 1778.
Howard Kendall Sanderson.

ABEL TWITCHELL, Sherborn &mdash 1751 – 1837

Private, Capt. Henry Leland’s Company, Col. Bullard’s Regiment, which marched at the Lexington alarm also Capt. Staples Chamberlin’s Company, Col. Wheelock’s Regiment served at Skeensboro and Ticonderoga, 1776.
Julian Phelps Twitchell.

JOHN TYLER, Attleboro &mdash 1725 – 1794

Private, Capt. Moses Willmarth’s Company, Col. John Daggett’s Regiment, which marched at the Lexington alarm served six days also his name appears on an order on the Treasurer of Attleboro for wages for service on the alarm caused by the battle of Bunker Hill.
Lyman Carpenter.

JACOB VAN GUYSLING, Schenedtady, New York &mdash 1736 – 1803

Private, Captains Bancker’s and Oothout’s Companies, Col. Wemple’s (Second) Regiment, Albany County militia also Capt. Wilson’s Company, Major Fonda’s (Second) Regiment, Albany County (land bounty rights) militia.
George Edmund Van Guysling.

JOEL VILES, Lexington &mdash 1743 –

Corporal, Capt. John Parker’s Lexington minute-men at the battle of Lexington, April 19, 1775 also at Cambridge, May 6-10, 1775 and at the battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1775.
Harrison Coburn Hall.

JOHN WADE, Scituate &mdash 1755 – 1843

Private, Capt. Stockbridge’s Company, Col. Thomas’ Regiment, at the siege of Boston, May-Oct., 1775 also Capt. Stetson’s Company, Col. Anthony Thomas’ Regiment served after taking Dorchester Heights, March 24-29, 1776 also Capt. Nelson’s Company, Col. Willard’s Regiment, at Ticonderoga, May-Oct., 1776 enlisted as Carptenter’s Mate on ship “Winthrop,” fourteen guns, Capt. Little, April, 1782 pensioned.
Lewis Arthur Frohock.

THOMAS WADLEIGH, Hampstead, New Hamsphire &mdash -1787

Captain in the French and Indian War, 1759 one of the Selectmen of Hampstead, 1771-1774 and 1776 Committee of Inspection and Safety, 1777 committee to provide for families of soldiers in the army, 1778 two of his sons, Thomas and John, served in 1775, and were at the battle of Bunker Hill.
Luther Atwood.

VINCENT WAINWIGHT, New Jersey ……. -1782

Private, minute-man, in the Monmouth County, New Jersey, miltia died of smallpox at Colt’s Neck, New Jersey, March 12, 1782.
[trans note: It’s not spelled WainwRight, the R is missing].
Edward Harvey Sampson.

JOHN WAIT, Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Private, Lieut.-Col. Henry Dearborn’s Company, Col. Scammell’s Regiment served three years in the Continental Army, March 12, 1777-March 12, 1780 his widow received a pension.
Henry Spalding Perham.

HENRY WALBRIDGE, Randolph, Vermont &mdash 1738 – 1818

He appears as Sergeant in the State publication of the Governor and Council of Vermont also in the Archives of the State of New York, among the Vermont papers on a pay roll for the year 1780.
Percy Edgar Walbridge.

EDWARD WALDO, Alstead, New Hampshire

Private, Col. James Reed’s Regiment wounded in the battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1775 Second Lieutenant, Capt. Prentice’s Company, Col. Bellows’ (Sixteenth) Regiment, March 15, 1776 re-enforced the army at Ticongeroga, and served twenty-five days in Oct., 1776 Lieutenant, Capt. Webber’s Company, Col. Hobart’s Regiment, which joined the Northern Continental Army, July-Sept., 1777.
Lewis Edgar Barnes.

BRUCE WALKER, Concord, New Hampshire &mdash 1760 – 1840

Private, Capt. Benjamin Emery’s Company, Col. Baldwin’s Regiment service Aug.-Nov., 1776 also Captains Bowman’s and Monson’s Companies, April 1777-Jan., 1778 also Capt. Ebenezer Webster’s Company, Colonels Langdon’s and Peabody’s Regiments, July-Aug., 1778 his widow was pensioned.
Harry Bradley Walker.

ELIJAH WALKER, Dighton &mdash 1730 – 1804

Captain, Ninth Company, Second Bristol County Regiment of militia, April 26, 1776 served in Rhode Island at the alarm of Dec., 1776, and also in August, 1780 company detached and marched to Dorchester Heights, Oct., 1778.
George William Austin.

MARSHALL WALKER, South Brimfield &mdash 1757 – 1816

Private, Capt. Whipple’s Company, Col. Abijah Stearns’ Regiment served guarding Convention troops, March 30-July 3, 1778 also Capt. Daniel Gilbert’s Company, Col. Josiah Whitney’s Regiment, Aug. 2-Sept. 18, 1778.
Henry Kirke Wight.

WILLIAM WALKER, Dighton &mdash 1743 – 1816

Private, Capt. Elijah Walker’s Company, Colonels Hathaway’s and Pope’s Regiments served on Rhode Island alarms, Dec. 8, 1776, and August 2, 1780.
Fernando Arthur Walker.

BENJAMIN WALTON, Gouldsboro, Maine &mdash 1758 – 1851

Private, Capt. Libby’s Company, Col. Foster’s Regiment served at Machias, Sept., 1777 also Col. Benjamin Tupper’s Regiment, Sept.-Dec., 1781 enlisted into the Continental Army, Capt. Turner’s Company, Col. Bradford’s Regiment transferred to Capt. Hebley’s Company, Col. Rufus Putnam’s Regiment, April, 1782-June, 1784 pensioned.
Charles Rebuen Walton.

REUBEN WALTON, Stoddard, New Hampshire

Private, Capt. Joseph Parker’s Company, Col. Enoch Hale’s Regiment joined the Northern Army at Ticonderoga, July, 1776 enlisted into the Continental Army served July-Nov., 1776.
Charles Reuben Walton.

Private, Capt. Phineas Parker’s Company, Col. Baldwin’s Regiment of artificers, Continental Army, July-Dec., 1780.
Albert Longley Ward.

JOSPEH WARDWELL, Rumford, Maine &mdash 1759 – 1849

Served as a non-commissioned officer of a Massachusetts Regiment, Jan., 1777, to Jan. 1782 Ensign, First Mass. Regiment, Jan. 18, 1782 to Nov., 1783 Lieutenant in a corps commanded by General Lafayette, who presented him with a sword for conspicuous bravery at the siege of Yorktown a member of the Society of the Cincinnati and a pensioner.
Edward Sherman Crockett.

JAMES WARREN, Plymouth &mdash 1726 – 1808

High Sheriff, 1757-1775 proposed and institued the Committees of Correspondence in 1773 a recognized patriot and a leader in the Revolution succeeded Joseph Warren as President of the Provincial Congress Paymaster-General, Continental Army, July 27, 1775-April 19, 1776 also a member of the Navy Board.
Winslow Warren.

JOHN WATERMAN, Halifax &mdash 1718 – 1790

Private, Lieut. Wood’s Company, which marched to Bristol, Rhode Island, on the alarm, Dec. 9, 1776 also Capt. Nathaniel Goodwin’s Company, Col. Cotton’s Regiment served on a secret expedition against Newport, Rhode Island, Sept. 25-Oct. 31, 1777.
George Huse Waterman.
Frank Sturtevant Waterman

DAVID WEBSTER, Plymouth, New Hampshire &mdash 1738 – 1824

Lieutenant-Colonel of Hobart’s Regiment of militia marched to re-enforce the Continental Army at Saratoga served Sept. 25-Oct. 28, 1777 also commanded a Company which marached on a Ticonderoga alarm, July, 1777 also of Col. Bedel’s Regiment for defence of the Connecticut River frontier, June 1778-April, 1779 also Muster Master, his commission in possession of his family.
Francis Vaughn Bulfinch.

THADDEUS WELLINGTON, Senior, Watertown &mdash 1758 – 1816

Private, Capt. Abraham Pierce’s (Waltham) Company, which marched to Concord and Lexington, and served during the day of April 19, 1775, and did guard duty for four days after the fight also Capt. Daniel Whiting’s Comany, Col. Asa Whitcomb’s Regiment, which served at Ticonderoga, as per muster roll, Nov. 27, 1776 also Musician, Capt. Alexander’s Company, Col. Wigglesworth’s Regiment, Continental Army mustered March 30, 1777 enlisted for the war was at Valley Forge and in camp near White Plains, May and June, 1778.
Charles Wellington Furlong.

THOMAS WELLINGTON, Watertown &mdash 1714 – 1783

Private, Capt. S. Barnard’s Company, Col. T. Gardner’s Regiment, which marched at the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775.
Francis Hayden.

GIDEON WESTCOTT, Cranston, Rhode Island.

Captain, Col. Elliot’s Regiment of Rhode Island State artillery, 1776.
Thomas Dorr Gatchell.

THOMAS WETHERBEE (WEATHERBEE), Lunenburg &mdash 1757 – 1848

Private, Capt. George Kimball’s Company, which marched on the Lexington alarm also Capt. Nutting’s Company, Col. William Prescott’s Regiment, which was at the battle of Bunker Hill also same Company and Regiment served one year from July, 1776 was wounded, disabled, and pensioned in April, 1818.
Robert Montraville Green.

JOHN WEYGANT, Orange County, New York

Private, Capt. Smith’s Company, Col. Woodhulls (First) Regiment, Orange County militia also Sergeant, Col. Woodhull’s (Fourth) Regiment, Orange County militia.
Herbert Eliphalet Huie.

TOBIAS WEYGANT, Orange County, New York.

Private, Second Regiment, New York Continental Line signer of the “Revolutonary Pledge.”
Herbert Eliphalet Huie.


Private, Capt. Philip Hubbard’s Company, Col. Scammon’s Regiment, at the siege of Boston, May-Aug., 1775 receipted for bounty coat at Cambridge, Oct. 27, 1775 also Capt. Samuel Darby’s Company, Col. John Bailey’s battalion, Continental Army service, 1777 to Dec. 31, 1779 at Valley Forge Jan., 1778 also in a detachment from York County Regiment, which served on an expedition to Penobscot, July-Sept., 1779.
William L. Chadbourn.

SILAS WHEELOCK, Mendon &mdash 1717-18 –

Colonel, Seventh Worcester County Regiment of militia, which marched to Cambridge at the Lexington alarm one of General Ward’s council of officers held after the alarm.
James Bogman Sweet.

JOHN WHITCOMB, Lancaster and Bolton &mdash 1712 – 1735 [trans. note: 1735 can’t be correct].

Colonel, in the first Crown Point expedition, and served in 1756, 1758 and 1760 Colonel of a Massachusetts Regiment, May to Dec., 1775 appointed Brigadier-General, Continental Army, June 5, 1776, which he declined.
Lyman Warren Brooks.

BENJAMIN WHITE, Weymouth &mdash 1747 – 1815

Drummer, Capt. Joseph Trufant’s (independent) Company enlisted May 9, 1775, for eight months receipted for bounty coat or its equivalent in money, Dec. 30, 1775 also Private, same Comoany served at Weymouth, Feb.-April, 1776 also Drummer, Capt. Winthrop Gray’s Company, Col. Crafts’ (artillery) Regiment served in Rhode Island under General Sullivan receipted for bounty, July 16, 1778.
David Vining Poole.

JOHN LAKE WHITING, Shrewsbury &mdash 1755 – 1807

Private, Capt. Job Cushing’s Company of minute-men, Col. Artemas Ward’s Regiment, which marched at the Lexington alarm to Cambridge served thirty days.
Edward Marcy Hill.
Henry Horace Hill

ELIJAH WHITNEY, Warwick &mdash 1715 –

Member of the Committee of Correspondence and Safety for the town of Warwick.
Richard Whitney.
Robert Bates Whitney.
Ralph Holyoke Whitney

ELISHA WHITNEY, Roxbury &mdash 1747 –

First Lieutenant, First Company, First Suffolk County Regiment, commanded by Col. McIntosh, May 10, 1779 also Capt. Moses Bullard’s Company, Col. Thayer’s Regiment served in Rhode Island, July-Oct., 1780.
Richard Whitney.
Ralph Holyoke Whitney.
Robert Bates Whitney

SAMUEL WHITTEMORE, Cambridge &mdash 1696 – 1793

A recognized patriot member of committees during the Revolution on the retreat of the British from Lexington and Concord, April 19, 1775, he withstood the assault of several British soldiers, at Menotomy (now Arlington), killing two of them he was terribly wounded and bayonetted, but, although nearly eighty years old, he survived eighteen years afterward.
Edgar Augustus Whittemore.
Harris Stewart Whittemore

JOHN WHITTLESEY, New Preston, Connecticut &mdash 1741 – 1812

Private, Capt. John Hinman’s Company, Thirteenth Regiment of militia served at New York, Aug.-Sept., 1776 also Capt. Moresey’s Company at Horse Neck, Rye, and Saw Pits, Oct.-Dec., 1776 also Engisn, Tenth Company, Thirteenth Regiment of militia, March 21, 1777 also Private, Capt. William Moulton’s Company, General Waterbury’s brigade, 1781 Selectman of New Preston, active in recruiting men for the service and forwarding supplies to the army.
William Augustus Whittlesey.

JOHN WIER, Hempstead, New Hampshire &mdash 1757 – 1837

Private, Capt. French’s Company enlisted April, 1775 served six weeks also Captains Gilmore’s, Rand’s and Hooper’s Companies served three enlistments, June-Nov. 1777 his widow was pensioned.
Harry Webster Davis.

BENJAMIN WILEY, Fryeburg, Maine &mdash -1816

Private, Capt. James Webb’s Company, Col. Sherburn’s additional Continental Regiment enlisted March 5, 1777 served three years.
Orlando W. Charles.

EDWARD WILKINS, Junior, Marlboro &mdash 1757 – 1837

Private, Capt. Amasa Cranston’s Company, Col. Eleazer Brooks’ Regiment, which marched to New York, and was in the battle of White Plains, Oct. 28, 1776.
William Hartwell Brigham.

REUBEN WILKINS, Middleton &mdash 1758 – 1811

Private, Capt. Prince’s Company, Col. Mansfield’s Regiment receipted for bounty coat, Oct. 6, 1775 enlisted in the Continental Army, Capt. Lovejoy’s (Andover) Company, April 7, 1777, for three years also in Col. Putnam’s (Fifth) Continental Regiment.
Samuel Herbert Wilkins.

SAMUEL WILLETT, Tewxbury, New Jersey &mdash 1751 – 1843

Private, Captains Jones’ and Reinhart’s Companies, Col. Taylor’s Regiment, New Jersey militia, March, 1776-Sept. 1777 also Capt. Reed’s Company in 1778 Capt. Berry’s Company in 1779 Capt. Crawford’s Company in 1780 Captains Carhart’s and Smock’s Companies in 1781 pensioned.
Rudolph Sherman Bauer.

JOSEPH WILLIAMS, Roxbury &mdash 1708 – 1798

Colonel in the French and Indian War at the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was, with Warren, Heath and Greaton, actively engaged in rallying companies to pursue the British retreating from Concord.
Samuel May Boardman.


Private, Capt. Sayer’s Company, Col. Scammon’s Regiment enlisted July 5, 1775 served at the siege of Boston.
William G. Williams.

TIMOTHY WILLMOTT, Connecticut &mdash 1757 – 1825

Private, Capt. Wilmot’s Company, First Connecticut Regiment, May-Nov., 1775 also Col. John Douglas’ Regiment of militia, May-Dec. 1776 also Bombadier, Capt. Jonathan Brown’s Company, Second Continental Artillery Regiment, Col. John Lamb, 1777-1780 was in the battle of White Plains pensioned.
Winfred Lewis Howe.

SUPPLY WILSON, New Ipswich, New Hampshire &mdash 1750 – 1835

Private, Capt. Heald’s Company, which marched at the alarm of the battle of Lexington, April 23, 1775 enlisted in Capt. Ezra Town’s Company, Col. Reed’s Regiment, for eight months, and was at the battle of Bunker Hill Corporal, Aug. 1, 1775 received $4 from the Colony of New Hampshire for a regimental coat Private, Capt. Abijah Smith’s Company, which re-enforced the Continental Army in New York, Sept. 21, 1776.
Walter Wheeler Rowse.

JOSHUA WINGATE, Dover, New Hampshire &mdash 1725 – 1796

Major, Second New Hampshire Regiment, Aug. 24, 1775 Colonel, First Regiment, Nov. 2, 1775 at Seavy’s Island, in command of the defences on the Piscataqua Colonel, Second Regiment marched to Ticonderoga stationed at Mount Independence, summer of 1776 joined General Sullivan on Rhode Island, summer of 1778 Selectman of Dover, 1775 and 1779 Representative from Dover to the second constitutional convention of New Hampshire in 1781.
Frederic Gilbert Bauer.

SAMUEL WINSHIP, Lexington &mdash 1712 – 1780

Private, Capt. Parker’s Company at the battle of Lexington, April 19, 1775 also went to the Jerseys in 1776 in Capt. Bridge’s Company also in Capt. Reuben Munroe’s Company, Col. Elisha Porter’s Regiment, Sept.-Oct., 1777.
George B. Robbins.

EBENEZER WITHINGTON, Dorchester &mdash 1753 – 1832

Private, Lieut. Hopstill Hall’s Company, which marched at the Lexington alarm served nine days also Capt. Eayr’s Company of artificers, Col. Knox’s Regiment, Continental Army, 1776-1777 Company took siege guns from Cambridge to Fort Washington, New York also Private, Capt. John Armstrong’s Company, Col. Gill’s Regiment served on an expedition to Rhode Island, twenty-seven days, in 1781.
Augustus Henry Withington.

SAMUEL WITHINGTON, Dorchester &mdash 1720 – 1781

Private, Lieut. Hopestill Hall’s Company, which marched at the Lexington alarm served twelve days.
Augustus Henry Withington.

JOSEPH WITT, Granby &mdash 1751 – 1839

Private, Capt. Paige’s Company, Major Rand’s Regiment also Capt. Smith’s Company, Col. Pomeroy’s Regiment five months, ten days services in 1776 also Capt. Woodbridge’s Company, Col. Thayer’s Regiment six months services in 1779 also Capt. Atlvord’s Company, Col. Murray’s Regiment, raised to re-enforce the Continental Army for three months, July-Oct., 1780 pensioned.
Edmund D. DeWitt.
Hollis B. DeWitt

HENRY WOODS, Groton &mdash 1733 – 1804

Major of Col. William Prescott’s Regiment, May-Dec., 1775 Major, Seventh Continental Infanty, Jan.-Dec., 1776 Volunteer in Col. Jonathan Reed’s Regiment, 1777 Lieut.-Col. of Col. Nathaniel Wade’s Regiment, 1778-1779 member of Massachusetts Convention, 1779 Colonel by brevet, 1783.
Henry Ernest Woods.

MOSES WOODS, Acton &mdash 1750 – 1837

Private, Capt. Isaac Davis’ Company of militia, which were at the Old North Bridge, Concord, April 19, 1775, and opened fire on the British soldiers also Private, Capt. Israel Heald’s Company, Col. Eleazer Brooks’ Regiment, which marched to Roxbury, March 4, 1776 also Lieutenant, Capt. Jonathan Rice’s Company, Col. Samuel Bullard’s Regiment, which served at the taking of General Burgoyne, Aug.-Nov. 1777.
Henry Frank Woods.
Edward Frankin Woods

Private, Capt. Nathaniel Snow’s Company, Col. George Williams’ Regiment marched June 22, 1778, and served under Col Wade in Sullivan’s Rhode Island expedition also Capt. Seth Smith’s Company, Col. Isaac Dean’s Regiment served in Rhode Island, Aug. 1-7, 1780.
Frank Clifford Walker.


Corporal, Capt. John Willoughby’s Company, Col. Chase’s Regiment, commanded by Brig.-Gen. Whipple, which Company marched from Plymouth and adjacent towns to re-enforce the Northern Army under General Gates served Sept. 25-Oct. 28, 1777.
Harry Bradley Walker.

Private, Capt. James Humphrey’s Company, Second Ulster County Regiment, New York militia, Oct., 1778 served on an alarm from Penpack, New York in Col. Newkirk’s Regiment, at Fort West Point and the forest of Dean, June, 1779 at West Point in Major Moses Phillips’ Regiment, June, 1780.
James Strong Judd.

OLIVER WRIGHT, Marlboro, New Hampshire &mdash 1741 – 1820

Ensign, Capt. Lewis’ Company, Lieut.-Col. Heald’s detachment, which marched to re-enforce the garrison at Ticonderoga, June 29-July 3, 1777 also Lieutenant, Capt. John Mellen’s Company, same service, July 3-11, 1777 one of the Committee of Safety, 1776 Moderator of a town meeting Feb. 6, 1778, to ratify “Articles of Confederation.”
William Case Dort.

DANIEL WYATT, Compton, New Hampshire

Private, Capt. Edward Elliott’s Company, Col. Hobart’s Regiment and General Stark’s Brigade marched to Charlestown, No. 4, July, 1777, and served two months Selectman of Compton, 1779.
Charles Thomas Upton.

ROSS WYMAN, Shewsbury [Shrewsbury?]

Captain of a Company of artillery, which marched to Cambridge at the Lexington alarm and served thirty days Private, Capt. Maynard’s Company of minute-men, which marched on the Bennington alarm, Aug. 21-23, 1777 also on the Saratoga alarm, Sept. 29-Oct. 18, 1777.
Edward Marcy Hill.
Henry Horace Hill.

THOMAS WYMAN, Roxbury &mdash 1761 – 1816

Private, Capt. Heath’s Company, Col. McIntosh’s Regiment served in the Continental Army, June-Dec. 1780.
Augustus Bacon.


The Commander-in-chief’s Guard, erroneously called by the Soldiers as “Washington’s Life Guard” and “Washington’s Body Guard,” was always attached to General Washington’s headquarters. It was formed at Cambridge, Mass., in March, 1776, and continued until the dissolution of the army in 1783.

Caleb Gibbs, Adjutant of Colonel John Glover’s Massachusetts Regiment, was Captain of the Guard, March 12, 1776 to January1, 1781 and George Lewis, of Virginia, was First Lieutenant, afterward Captain of the Cavalry of the Guard. Dr. Carlos E. Godfrey’s recently published history of the “Commander-in-Chief’s Guard” gives the records of about three -fourths of the officers an men of the Guard, in which are incorpoated their immediate family records.

Seventy-five of the Company were Massachusetts men, namely:

THOMAS HARRIS, New London, Connecticut &mdash 1759 – 1802

Transferred to the Commander-in-Chief’s Guard at Valley Forge, March 19, 1778, and promoted Fifth Sergeant at battle of Monmouth promoted Fourth Sergeant, August, 1778 Third Sergeant December 11, 1778 Second Sergeant, August 5, 1779, to January 4, 1780.
Walstein R. Chester.

THOMAS HARRIS, New London, Connecticut &mdash 1759 – 1802

WILLIAM WYMAN, Lunenburg &mdash 1752 – 1809

Col. Bigelow’s (Fifteenth) Regiment transferred, Valley Forge, March 19, 1778, to Commander-in-Chief’s Guard at battle of Monmouth, June 28, 1778 discharged at Morristown, April 1, 1780.
Charles F. Wyman.

Edward T. Heald - History

Edward T. Eaton, one of the sturdy pioneers of Butler county and a veteran of the Civil war, comes from an old and distinguished Colonial family. Mr. Eaton was born in Hancock county, Illinois, March 14, 1841, and is a son of David J. and Agnes (Avise) Eaton, the former of New Jersey, and comes from an old New England family of English descent. A number of the Eatons came to this country in the early Colonial days. Francis Eaton came on the Mayflower in 1620, and John Eaton landed in New England after making the voyage on the Elizabeth Ann in 1635 William came on the Hercules in 1637, all of whom were brothers, and Edward T., the subject of this sketch is a descendant of one of these brothers. Isaac Eaton, who lived at Hopewell, N. J., and died in 1776, was the great grandfather of Edward T., and founded the first Baptist school in America, at Hopewell, N. J.

David J. Eaton, the father of Edward T., was a wagon-maker, and he and his wife were the parents of six children, of whom the subject of thiss ketch[sic] was the oldest, and Isaac was the youngest. Isaac also served in the Civil war, being a member of Company I, Sixteenth regiment, Illinois infantry. He had some difficulty in getting into the service on account of being under age and under size, but he was determined to pass muster, and after being rejected once by the recruiting officer, he went to the nearest shoemaker and had high heels put on his shoes, and, the next time, was successful in passing. He served throughout the war, and at its close was mustered out of service and honorably discharged.

Edward T. Eaton worked at the carpenter's trade in early life, and, during the Civil war, enlisted in Company C, Fiftieth regiment, Illinois infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was with Sherman on his great march to the sea, and in the campaign in North Carolina, when Johnson surrendered. He acted as brigade headquarters clerk while in the service, and participated in the grand review at Washington, after the close of the war. He was mustered out of the service, July 13, 1865, and then returned to Illinois, and resumed work at his trade, and also followed contracting.

Mr. Eaton was married, in 1863, to Miss Rebecca Welsh of Fulton county, Illinois. Her parents were Thomas J. and Jennie (Baldrich) Welsh, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of South Carolina. To Mr. and Mrs. Eaton have been born four children, as follows:


Curtiss Powell, deceased Minnie B., deceased Edith A., deceased, and William E., born February 28, 1880.

In the spring of 1870, Mr. Eaton came to Kansas, first stopping at Humboldt. He started to walk from that point to Butler county, but was fortunate in getting a ride with an emigrant who was driving through. After reaching Butler county, he worked at the carpenter trade in various places while his wife and children remained in Quincy, Ill. When he came here he had less than $5, and after saving his money for a season, he was able to bring his family to their new home in Butler county, which was a one room affair, 12x14 feet, located on his claim on section 20, Milton township. Here the little family began life on the plains and joined the struggle of the early pioneers to make a home for themselves and develop a new country. Notwithstanding they experienced many hardships in the early days, they were always satisfied with Kansas and never once thought of retracing their steps. Mrs. Eaton taught school for three or four years after coming to Butler county, and bears the distinction of having taught the first school in Milton township. Money was scarce in those days, and Mr. Eaton says his entire income, in cash from all sources for one entire year, was twenty-five dollars. Provisions and various articles were used for barter, and he frequently would take in trade articles for which he had no immediate use.

Mr. Eaton was postmaster at Holden for twelve years. This was the first postoffice in Milton township. He is a member of the Masonic lodge and the Grand Army of the Republic, and he and Mrs. Eaton are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Whitewater, and Mr. Eaton has been chairman of the building committee. Mrs. Eaton is a charter member of the Woman's Relief Corps, No. 178.

Transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill. 894 pgs.

Interview with Edward T. "Ned" Breathitt, Jr., January 10, 1983

Interviews may be reproduced with permission from Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, Special Collections, University of Kentucky Libraries.

All rights to the interviews, including but not restricted to legal title, copyrights and literary property rights, have been transferred to the University of Kentucky Libraries.

Add this interview to your cart in order to begin the process of requesting access to a copy of and/or permission to reproduce interview(s).

Breathitt, Edward T., Jr. Interview by Scott Ellsworth. 10 Jan. 1983. Lexington, KY: Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries.

Breathitt, E.T., Jr. (1983, January 10). Interview by S. Ellsworth. Appalachia: Appalachian Regional Commission Oral History Project. Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries, Lexington.

Breathitt, Edward T., Jr., interview by Scott Ellsworth. January 10, 1983, Appalachia: Appalachian Regional Commission Oral History Project, Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries.

You may come across language in UK Libraries Special Collections Research Center collections and online resources that you find harmful or offensive. SCRC collects materials from different cultures and time periods to preserve and make available the historical record. These materials document the time period when they were created and the view of their creator. As a result, some may demonstrate racist and offensive views that do not reflect the values of UK Libraries.

History of venereal diseases from antiquity to the renaissance

Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), previously known as venereal diseases (VD), were present among the populations of antiquity as well as during the Middle Ages. Clay tablets from Mesopotamia, Egyptian papyri, along with mythology, paintings of erotic scenes, and presence of prostitutes give sufficient information to assume that some form of urethral and vaginal discharge, and also herpes genitalis were present among people at that time, and that these diseases were considered a divine punishment. Some passages of the Bible say much about the sexual behavior of the ancient Hebrews. The writings of the Greek and Roman physicians and of their satiric poets (Martial, Juvenal, Ovid) described diverse genital diseases. Celsus described various diseases of the genitals, that he called the "obscene parts". Galen made a strange description of the female genitals and coined the term gonorrhea - flow of semen. The ancient Chinese and Indian physicians also gave some account on the presence of venereal diseases in their books, and the temple sculptures depict their sexual life. During the Middle Ages, numerous physicians and surgeons from Europe as well as from Arabic countries wrote on local diseases of the genitals, describing chancres, condylomata, erosions, pustules, urethral and vaginal discharge, and their treatment. Some were aware that the alterations were connected with sexual activity. In spite the fact the Christian church propagated abstinence, the spread of venereal diseases was possible because the diffusion of prostitution, communal baths, and wars. During the 19th century, some of the physicians and historians, especially J. Rosenbaum, F. Buret, and E. Lancereaux believed syphilis was as old as mankind, whereas later authors had the opinion the disease appeared at the end of the 15th century.

Edward T. Jones house in Sunshine, Colorado: Photo 1

Carnegie Branch Library for Local History is temporarily closed.
Basic research and scanning services are available by emailing [email protected]

Edward T. Jones house in Sunshine, Colorado

Photographs of the Edward T. Jones family and house.

Photo 1 - The Edward T. Jones house with John, Emily holding baby Betha, and Edward Jones standing in front of the house. John was Edward's brother.
Photo 2 - The Edward T. Jones house with Edward Jones standing in front of the house. Some snow on ground.
Photo 3 - Edward and wife, Emily both seated with older daughter, Betha in the back, Forrest in overalls and Lois in front.
Photo 4 - Color photo of the house in 1970.

RIGHTS: The historic photographs and documents, with the Source BHS, belong to the Boulder Historical Society/Museum of Boulder and require attribution when used. These items are on permanent loan to the Carnegie Library for Local History. No duplicated materials may be deposited, or placed on file in any other archive, museum, library or similar repository. Questions of copyright are the responsibility of the user.

The Missing 20th Century: How Copyright Protection Makes Books Vanish

The above chart shows a distribution of 2500 newly printed fiction books selected at random from Amazon's warehouses. What's so crazy is that there are just as many from the last decade as from the decade between 1910 and 1920. Why? Because beginning in 1923, most titles are copyrighted. Books from before 1923 tend to be in the public domain, and the result is that Amazon carries them -- lots of them. The chart comes from University of Illinois law professor Paul Heald. In a talk at the University of Canterbury in March 16, he explained how he made it and what it shows. He said:

This is super exciting, interesting preliminary data, I think. I had one of my students write a computer program that would crawl through Amazon.com and pull 2,500 fiction titles at random. . The findings are absolutely fascinating.

We broke these out by decade. . You would expect that if you can crawl through Amazon looking at only new books and only books sold by Amazon -- so these are not used books, these are not sold by Amazon associates, this is what's in Amazon's warehouses -- of course, the biggest number of books is from the decade 2000-2010. That's what you'd expect they're more recent, more popular. Drops off really quickly for books in the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s, '60, 1950, 1940, 1930 -- here's the point in time where books start falling in the public domain. Suddenly it goes up and up and up. There's as many books [that] Amazon is selling brand new right now from the 1900s to 1910 as from the 2000s to 2010. You go all the way back to 1850 -- there's twice as many books from the 1850s being sold on Amazon right now as the 1950s. So this sort of confirms the notion that there's some sort of positive public-domain effect .

Heald says that the numbers would be even more dramatic if you controlled for the number of books published in those years, because there are likely far more books published in 1950 than in 1850.

You can watch Heald's whole talk, "Do Bad Things Happen When Works Fall Into the Public Domain?" below. His comments on this chart start at about 12:40. Thanks to Yoni Appelbaum for the pointer.

Washington Makes the Call to Inoculate

By the following winter, Washington and his troops were camped in Morristown, New Jersey, where the threat of smallpox was as dire as ever. America’s stoic general waffled back and forth on whether to inoculate or not, even making the mass inoculation order and then rescinding it. Finally, on February 5, 1777, he made the call in a letter to John Hancock, president of the Second Continental Congress.

“The small pox has made such Head in every Quarter that I find it impossible to keep it from spreading thro’ the whole Army in the natural way. I have therefore determined, not only to innoculate all the Troops now here, that have not had it, but shall order Docr. Shippen to innoculate the Recruits as fast as they come in to Philadelphia.”

Fenn says that inoculating all troops without natural smallpox immunity was a daunting task. First, medical personnel had to examine each individual to determine if they had contracted the disease in the past, then they conducted the risky variolation procedure, followed by a month-long recovery process attended by teams of nurses.

Meanwhile, this entire process—the first of its kind and scale—had to be conducted in total secrecy. If the British caught wind that large numbers of American soldiers were laid up in bed with smallpox, it could be the end.

“I need not mention the necessity of as much secrecy as the nature of the Subject will admit of,” wrote Washington, “it being beyond doubt, that the Enemy will avail themselves of the event as far as they can.”

Watch the video: Awkward Melania Trump Moments That Were Caught On Camera