Tacoma III PF-3 - History

Tacoma III PF-3 - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Tacoma III

(PF-3: dp. 1,430; 1. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k. (tl.); cpl. 190; a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 9 20mm.,2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Tacoma)

The third Tacoma was laid down at Richmond, Calif., on 10 March 1943 by Kaiser Cargo Inc., under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1421) as PG 111; redesignated PF-3 on 16 April 1943, named Tacoma on 5 May 1943, launched on 7 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. R. Bergersen, and commissioned on 6 November 1943, Lt. Comdr. Adrian F. Werner, USCG, in command.

After completing shakedown training off the California coast in December, Tacoma reported for duty as a training ship in January 1944. She trained prospective frigate crews until 27 June, when she was ordered to proceed to Alaskan waters upon completion of sea trials. However, she was plagued by unsuccessful trials and a boiler room fire and, consequently, did not report for duty at Kodiak, Alaska, until 21 October. For the next four months, Tacoma conducted antisubmarine patrols and escorted supply ships and transports along the Alaskan coast and between the various islands of the Aleutians chain, visiting Attu, Adak, Dutch Harbor, and other smaller Alaskan ports.

On 23 February 1945, she departed Dutch Harbor

and sailed south for an extensive overhaul-first at San Francisco, then at Bremertown, Wash.—to prepare her for transfer to the Soviet Union. On 10 July, the frigate returned to Alaska, at Cold Bay, and began familiarization training with her prospective Russian crew. She was decommissioned at Cold Bay on 16 August and transferred to the Soviet Navy, in which she served over four years as EK-15.

The frigate was returned to the United States on 16 October 1949 at Yokosuka, Japan. She remained there out of commission, in a caretaker status, until the outbreak of hostilities in Korea late in June 1960. She began preparations for activation in August and went back into commission on 1 December at Yokosuka. The next day, she began 16 days of shakedown training out of Yokosuka in Sagami Wan and Tokyo Bay. From the 18th to the 26th, she underwent post shakedown availability at Yokosuka and put to sea the following day bound for Sasebo, Japan. On the 28th, Tacoma headed for the east coast of Korea.

For the next few months, the frigate operated with the UN Blockading and Escort Squadron, Task force (TF) 96. On 30 January 1961, she joined in the bombardment phase of the amphibious feint at Kansong; and, the following afternoon, she performed the same duty at Kosong. She put in at Pusan on 1 February, then headed for Sasebo two days later. By 6 February, she was back off Korea's eastern coast at Kangnung for a two-day bombardment mission there. On the 7th and 8th, her gunners trained their sights on Yangyang, and then on Hwangpo on the 9th and 10th. When not pounding Hwangpo, Tacoma patrolled off Chikute Island. She returned to Sasebo on 13 February and remained there until the 19th, when she headed for Wonsan harbor in North Korea. She arrived off Wonsan on 22 February and, for the next four days, joined in the operations which resulted in the successful landing of 110 Republic of Korea marines on Sin Do on the 24th. The following day, Tacoma cleared Wonsan channel to return to Sasebo. She arrived at Sasebo on 27 February and remained there until 10 March, when she got underway for Yokosuka and a restricted availability which lasted until 23 April.

On 3 April 1951, the United States Naval Forces, Far East (Navy) organization was restructured. As a result, the Service Forces, previously fragmented among separate 7th Fleet and Navy groups, were consolidated into a new Logistics Group, designated TF 92. When Tacoma emerged from the yard at Yokosuka in late April, she was assigned to the new task organization as an escort; and she served in that capacity for the remainder of her United States naval career. From then until September, the frigate escorted supply ships between Japanese and Korean ports and to stations along the Korean coast where she replenished Allied warships. She also conducted antisubmarine patrols and participated in occasional shore bombardments.

On 9 October 1961, Tacoma was transferred to the Republic of Korea (ROK). She served in the ROK Navy as Taedong (PF-63) until 28 February 1973, when she was decommissioned and returned to the United States Navy. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 2 April 1973, and she was subsequently donated to the ROK Navy as a museum and training ship.

Tacoma earned three battle stars during the Korean War.

USS Tacoma (PF-3)

Vous pouvez partager vos connaissances en l’améliorant (comment ?) selon les recommandations des projets correspondants.

  • 3 chaudières à trois tambours
  • 2 machines à vapeur (triple expansion)
  • 2 hélices
  • 3x1 double canon de 3 pouces/50 calibres
  • 2x1 double canon Bofors 40 mm
  • 9x1 canon de 20 mm Oerlikon
  • 2 rampes grenade anti-sous-marine
  • 8 Hedgehog

L' USS Tacoma (PG-111/PF-3) était le navire de tête de la classe Tacoma de Frégates de patrouilles dans l'United States Navy pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Il a également servi dans la Marine soviétique de 1945 à 1949 sous le nom de EK-11 puis transféré dans la Marine de la République de Corée sous le nom de ROKS Taedong (PF-633). Mis hors service en 1973 il est maintenant un navire musée

Start a new career, advance in your current field, or finish high school. We can help!

What do you want to do? If you're rethinking your next move, think of Bates. Bates offers associate in applied science degrees (AAS), certificates of competency and certificates of training in hundreds of career areas.

Succeed in the workplace and attain your educational goals!

Bates offers multiple programs to support students who need to complete high school or prepare for college or a career. Whether you need to complete your high school diploma, or improve your reading, writing or math skills, our programs are designed to help you succeed in the workplace or attain your educational goals.

Be a part of the next generation of this high-demand career field

The Advanced Manufacturing career pathway prepares you for a career in manufacturing and aerospace industries. You'll learn in clean, bright indoor labs that mirror the workplace using hands-on techniques to develop technical skills in traditional precision tooling and machining, as well as computer numeric control (CNC) machines.

Land a career behind the scenes or in a business setting

In the Business and Communication career pathway, you’ll prepare for a career in a professional business setting or a dynamic and fast-paced multimedia field. Whether you want to open your own business, pursue work in a traditional personal services or business setting, or you’re a creative technology-savvy person who seeks a career in video production, graphic design, photography or web media, this pathway is perfect for you.

Sauté and sizzle your way to a delicious career in cuisine

The Hospitality career pathway connects you with South Sound's only American Culinary Federation Accredited Culinary Arts degree and certificate program. If you have an epicurean passion for baking and cooking, and have dreamed of working in the culinary industry, this program is for you. Earn an Associate of Applied Science degree or a certificate while receiving a hands-on education from award-winning instructors.

Serve the public through creating positive learning environment for children or fighting fires and emergency management

The Education and Public Safety career pathway is focused on early childhood education and providing in-depth and robust education for future and current firefighters. The Early Childhood Education program fuses theories and practical lab experiences to teach you how to create an effective learning experience and apply developmentally appropriate curriculum. This program prepares you for a rewarding career educating young children. Through the college’s continuing education department, individuals can earn a career and technical education certificate at the secondary level, grades 7-12. The Fire Service program and other first responder-related courses are designed to give you an opportunity to train in real-world settings. You'll prepare for careers as fire fighters or in related professions that require specific certifications.

Take the first step toward pursuing a fulfilling career of caring for others

The Health Sciences career pathway prepares you for a rewarding career in a variety of professions, in both direct and indirect patient care. Whether you seek a career as a licensed practical nurse, dental assistant or hearing aid specialist, or you are interested in fixing high-tech equipment in a medical facility, Bates Technical College has a program for you. The programs combine technical and theoretical knowledge with hands-on experience and are taught by experienced faculty dedicated to your success.

Get your career in gear in high-tech and analytical fields

The STEM career pathway prepares students to enter this exciting, fast-paced field with the knowledge, skills and industry certifications necessary to succeed and advance. Program choices are varied and focus on information technology, robotics and mechatronics, electronics and engineering fields. Each program teaches you the necessary skills and industry-relevant tools to pursue entry-level positions in these dynamic fields.

Hands-on learning for skilled trades and fast-moving careers

The Transportation and Trades career pathway prepares those who enjoy working with their hands, repairing various vehicles parts, and take pride in their craft. Many programs in this pathway teach you how to turn raw materials into finished products and how to safely operate and maintain equipment. If you’re interested in transportation programs that focus on earning your Class A CDL, repairing engines, or building and fixing motorcycle and marine equipment, these programs are the first step to gaining employment in these fields. Depending on the program you choose, you can earn industry certificates, licensures and apprenticeship hours

Refresh your skills or explore a new interest!

Our continuing education opportunities will help you retool for what's next in life. Whether your goal is to continue your professional development or learn a new skill, our continuing education courses are current and relevant.

Want to learn a new trade or skill?

The apprenticeship program may offer you paid, on-the-job learning. Apprenticeships are a great option for people who like to work with their hands and are ready to go to work.

Earn your high school diploma, open doors!

Bates offers several programs that help you earn your high school diploma, including High School+, Technical High School and Running Start.

Enhance your child care skills and create connections with other parents and caregivers!

Our robust Child Studies department educates parents, child care employees and caregivers on early childhood topics that enhances your skills. We offer parenting seminars and classes for parents, a child care advisory program, a resource center, State Training and Registry System (STARS) courses, and more.

Служба [ править | править код ]

ВМС США, Вторая мировая война, 1943—1945 [ править | править код ]

В декабре 1943 года «Такома» завершила ходовые испытания и в январе 1944 года была назначена учебным кораблём для подготовки экипажей патрульных фрегатов. 27 июня 1944 года корабль был направлен на официальные испытания корабля в воды штата Аляска. Однако из-за пожара в котельном отделении «Такома» смогла доложить о готовности только 21 октября 1944 года. Первым пунктом базирования стал Кадьяк (Аляска). Следующие четыре месяца «Такома» участвовала в противолодочном патрулировании, сопровождала транспортные конвои вдоль побережья Аляски и около Алеутских островов (остров Атту, Адак, Датч-Харбор и малые порты Аляски) Β] .

23 февраля 1945 года «Такома» прибыла в Датч-Харбор и направилась на юг на ремонт в Сан-Франциско, а затем в Бремертон. Корабль планировалось передать советскому флоту из порта Колд-Бэй в рамках секретной программы « Хала   (англ.) русск. » Β] , поскольку СССР собирался принять участие в войне против Японии Γ] . 10 июля 1945 года «Такома» прибыла в Колд-Бэй для перехода в состав советского флота Β] .

Тихоокеанский флот СССР, 1945–1949 [ править | править код ]

16 августа «Такома» была исключена из состава ВМС США и передана по ленд-лизу с другими кораблями: «Соусалито»   (англ.) русск. , «Хокуайам»   (англ.) русск. , «Паско»   (англ.) русск. , «Альбукерке»   (англ.) русск. и «Эверетт»   (англ.) русск. . Все они были немедленно приняты в состав советского флота [a] как сторожевые корабли, а «Такома» получила наименование ЭК-11 [b] . ЭК-11 прибыл в Петропавловск-Камчатский, начав службу на Дальнем Востоке Ζ] .

Корабль не участвовал в боевых действиях, а в феврале 1946 года в США начали переговоры о возвращении кораблей. Министр военно-морских сил США Джеймс Форрестол сообщил Государственному департаменту США 8 мая 1947 года о том, что Министерство флота собирается вернуть 480 из 585 боевых кораблей, переданных СССР. Среди них был и ЭК-11. 16 октября 1949 года после долгих переговоров корабль был возвращён флоту США в японской Йокосуке Η] .

ВМС США, Корейская война, 1950—1951 [ править | править код ]

Службу в Йокосуке «Такома» несла до 25 июня 1950 года, начала Корейской войны. В августе 1950 года корабль был приведён в боевую готовность, а 1 декабря вернулся на боевую службу. После 15-дневных испытаний в Сагамском и Токийском заливах уже с 18 по 25 декабря фрегат стал на ремонт, а 26 декабря вышел в море из порта Сасебо, прибыв 28 декабря к юго-восточному побережью Кореи Β] .

В течение нескольких следующих месяцев «Такома» действовала в составе сил ООН и эскадры сопровождения из 95-й оперативной группы. 30 января 1951 года обстреливала позиции в Кансоне, на следующий день осуществила бомбардировку в Косоне. 1 февраля прибыла в Бусан, а 3 февраля направилась в сторону Сасебо. К 5 февраля фрегат был уже у Каннуна, проведя обстрелы Яньяна 7 и 8 февраля и обстрелы Хванпо 9 и 10 февраля. В свободное от обстрелов время корабль нёс службу у острова Чикуте. С 13 по 19 февраля находился в Сасебо, а затем направился в гавань Вонсан на территории Северной Кореи, прибыв туда 22 февраля и затем в течение 4 дней оказывая морскую огневую поддержку 110 морским пехотинцам Республики Корея на Син-До, высадившимся 24 февраля. Расчистив канал Вонсан, корабль направился в Саседо и оставался там с 27 февраля по 10 марта 1951 года. Далее «Тахома» проследовала в Йокосуку и встала на ремонт до 23 апреля 1951 года Β] .

3 апреля 1951 года изменилась структура Дальневосточного флота ВМС США. Силы, разбросанные ранее по Седьмому флоту ВМС США и разным группам Дальневосточного флота, были собраны в 92-ю оперативную группу (группу логистики). «Такома» была включена в новую группу как корабль сопровождения и до сентября 1951 года сопровождала конвои между японскими и корейскими портами и прикрывала боевые корабли ООН. Осуществляла патрулирование против подводных лодок и участвовала в обстреле побережья Β] .

ВМС Республики Корея, 1951—1973 [ править | править код ]

9 октября 1951 года «Тахома» была передана флоту Республики Корея, получив имя «Тэдон» (ROKS Taedong (PF-63) в англоязычных источниках). Корабль служил там до 28 февраля 1973 года, после чего был возвращён флоту США. Фрегат 2 апреля 1973 года был исключён из списков флота США и возвращён корейцам, которые сделали его сначала учебным кораблём, а потом музеем Β] .

Power Outages

Power outages occur due to both planned and unplanned events. Stay in the know when your power goes out.

Tacoma Power’s new outage portal offers more features and information, and allows you to easily report a power outage online or via text message. You can also choose to receive updates to your phone or via email.

Register using your TPU account number and the phone number associated with your TPU account.

Registration FAQ:

No. The new outage portal is not connected to MyAccount. You must create an outage account even if you already use MyAccount to manage and pay your bill.

Your account number is located on your bill in the upper right-hand corner. See an example here.

If you use MyAccount, you can login and confirm which phone number is associated with your account. You can also confirm your phone number by calling our customer services team at 253-502-8600.

If you are trying to register and receiving a message that the system is unable to validate your information, you are most likely using the incorrect phone number. Check to see which phone number is associated with your TPU account before trying to register again.

Once you have registered and activated your account, login and set your notifications preferences.

  1. Click “Profile” in the menu on the top.
  2. Click “Set Notification Preferences” or “Notification Preferences.”
  3. Add your phone number(s) and email address(s) and hit “Save.”

Next time you experience a power outage, you can login to the portal to report your outage or text “Out” to 24764 if you have enrolled in text alerts.

Need help? Call our Customer Services team at 253-502-8600. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Once you enroll, set your notification preferences. You can add another member of your household, family member or friend to receive alerts when the power goes out at your home.

You can still report an outage over the phone by calling 253-502-8602.

This map will help you locate and learn more about current outages. Click the icon on the map indicating an outage and learn more about the cause, number of customers affected, and status of restoration.

Registering for our outage platform provides the best experience for reporting and tracking outages. However, you can report an outage online without having an account.


The outage information we report is based on estimates and projections. Tacoma Power makes no express representations or warranties regarding its accuracy. We make every reasonable effort to post the best, most readily available data we have.

Power outages become more likely during fall and winter. Although Tacoma Power has a very reliable system, it’s a good idea to prepare for a power outage just in case it happens.

  • Update your notification preferences so you can report outages online and via text, and receive updates by email.
  • Keep our outage number handy: 253-502-8602.
  • Learn how to manually operate your automatic garage door.
  • If you use electricity for water, such as a well with an electric pump, have enough water available to last a couple of days. You should have at least a gallon of drinking water a day for each person in your house for drinking and cooking.
  • Put together an outage kit before an outage:
    • Flashlight(s)
    • Wind-up or battery-powered clock
    • Battery-powered radio
    • Extra batteries for flashlight, clock and radio
    • Food that you don’t have to heat
    • Manual can opener

    Life support
    If you or someone in your household depends on electricity for life support, please call us at 253-502-8600 before an emergency. We will note your account, and your home will be a priority during outages.

    During a power outage, follow these tips for safety:

    • Do not use a natural gas range to heat your home. Don’t burn charcoal for heat or cooking indoors. Both fuels give off dangerous fumes.
    • If you use a kerosene or propane space heater, open a window for ventilation. Otherwise, there is a real danger of death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
    • Use flashlights, not candles. Candles may start a fire.
    • Never plug portable or auxiliary generators in to a wall outlet. Learn more about generator safety.

    Communications lines are the lowest lines on a power pole. They are thinner than power lines, which hang above. Click here to view a diagram that shows all the different lines running from the street to your home.

    Valvoline &trade DEX/MERC ATF

    Valvoline &trade DEX/MERC ATF is formulated with premium base stocks and advanced additive technology to meet the challenging demands of an automatic transmission environment. It is a high-quality, friction-modified lubricant qualified by both General Motors and Ford. Its responsive low-temperature fluidity is beneficial in both electronic and hydraulic controlled transmissions and transaxles.


    Valvoline &trade DEX/MERC ATF is an automatic transmission fluid formulated with premium base stocks and advanced additive technology to meet the challenging demands of an automatic transmission environment. Additional product benefits include:

    • Helps provide smooth shift performance where DEXRON ® -III or a MERCON ® fluid is specified
    • Greater friction stability to help maintain consistent shift performance
    • Excellent protection against wear and high-temperature breakdown, resists thickening due to high temperature
    • Meets new tests for wear protection and shudder resistance

    Product Part Numbers

    Name Size Part UPC
    1 gallon 773636 0-74130-00357-6
    Quart 798153 0-74130-00353-8
    Pail VV349 0-74130-00349-1


    Keeping the World Moving Since 1866

    What good is history, if you never change. And what good is change, if it doesn't make you better.

    Seasonal Maintenance Milestones For Your Vehicle

    Our cars are just like us&mdashthey have to be checked on regularly to stay healthy. And if you haven&rsquot been maintaining a regular maintenance routine, there&rsquos an easy solution&mdashtune-up your vehicle every time the seasons change.


    On November 17, 1965, three men kidnap Charles H. Hyde III, age 13, from a school bus stop in Lakewood, near Tacoma (Pierce County) in broad daylight. His captors telephone the Hyde family, demanding $45,000 for the boy's safe return. His father, Charles H. Hyde II acts immediately and pays the ransom. Young Charles is released nine hours later in an empty building on Ruston Way near Tacoma's Old Town Dock. On November 20, 1965, Tilford G. Baker, age 34, surrenders to the Pierce County Sheriff's Department, confesses to the crime and implicates two accomplices. Federal fugitive warrants are immediately issued for Dean A. Bromley, age 20, and James E. Evans, age 31. That night the FBI captures Bromley in Arkansas. Two days later, on November 22, Evans, who had fled to California, returns to Tacoma and surrenders. The men, pleading insanity, go to trial in February 1966 and are found guilty. Baker is a given life sentence for first-degree kidnapping and Evans 10 years for conspiracy to kidnap. Bromley will appeal and the Washington State Supreme Court will grant him a new trial. But the result is the same and he will be sentenced to life in prison. The Hyde family usually shunned publicity, but the kidnapping of young Charles gained national attention and became one of the most sensational regional crime stories of the decade.

    Charles Is Kidnapped

    At 7:45 a.m. on Wednesday, November 17, 1965, 13-year-old Charles Henry Hyde III, a eighth-grade student at the Charles Wright Academy, located at 7723 Chambers Creek Road W, University Place, was walking from his home located at 12745 Gravelly Lake Drive SW, Lakewood, toward a nearby school-bus stop when a white four-door sedan pulled up beside him and stopped. A man, wearing a yellow and blue Madras-plaid hat and dark glasses, exited the passenger side of car and began asking Charles questions. Suddenly he grabbed Charles by the arm and pulled him into the vehicle, saying they were giving him a ride to school. Charles was forced to lie on the floor in the back seat of the car, his eyelids were taped shut, and he was covered with a blanket.

    At about 9:30 a.m., the kidnappers stopped at a house, wrapped up Charles in a tarp and carried him inside. They placed a telephone call to his father, Charles Henry Hyde II (1914-1998), president of the West Coast Grocery Company, 1525 E “D” Street, the largest grocery wholesaler in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, established by the Hyde family in 1891. The kidnapers told Mr. Hyde his son was being held for ransom and then ordered Charles to say hello to his father. They instructed Mr. Hyde to buy a black valise for $4.95 at the Eagle Loan Company, a pawn shop, at S 15th Street and Pacific Avenue, withdraw $45,000 from his bank in old, unmarked $5, $10, $20, and $100 bills, drive to the pay-telephone booth in front of the Signal service station at S 72nd Street and S Park Avenue in South Tacoma by 3:00 p.m. and wait for a phone call with further instructions.

    After obtaining the black valise, Mr. Hyde went to the Bank of California and, without offering an explanation, withdrew the ransom money from his business account and drove to the phone booth. The pay phone rang at 3:00 p.m. and the kidnapers instructed Mr. Hyde to drive to the Park-N-Shop supermarket at S 96th Street and Pacific Avenue in Parkland, some two miles away. He was told to park in the alley behind the market, leave his car unlocked with the money on the front seat, go to the phone booth at the front of the store and wait for another phone call with further instructions.

    Mr. Hyde did as instructed and waited at the booth for approximately 10 minutes, but when no instructions came, he returned to his car found he had locked the doors. He unlocked the front doors and went back to the booth to wait for another 20 minutes, but when no call came, he went back to his car and found the valise containing the ransom money was gone. Mr. Hyde drove home, told his wife, Otis, what had happened, and contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

    The FBI informed Mr. Hyde, since state lines had evidently not been crossed, they had no immediate jurisdiction and notified the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, which had jurisdiction under state law. Within a short period of time, FBI agents and Sheriff’s officers arrived at the Hyde residence to learn the details of the crime, start an investigation and coordinate a statewide manhunt for the kidnappers. (A clause in the Federal Kidnapping Act, also known as the Lindbergh Law, enables the FBI to enter a case after 24 hours when it is presumed state lines have been crossed, making it a federal felony. The law was a response to the New Jersey kidnapping and murder in March 1932 of the 2-year-old son of Charles Lindbergh, the famous aviator, and his wife Anne Morrow Lindbergh.)

    Charles Comes Home

    Just after 7:00 p.m., Mr. Hyde received a telephone call from an attorney and family friend, Rush E. Stouffer, 605 N 8th Street, Tacoma, advising him that Charles was there, claiming he had been kidnapped and needed to call his father. Coincidentally, the Stoufer residence was across the street from the Tacoma Lawn Tennis Club where George H. Weyerhaeuser was kidnapped in 1935. The Hydes, accompanied by Pierce County Sheriff Jack Berry, arrived soon after to take Charles to Sheriff’s headquarters where he provided a detailed description of his captors and the kidnap car for a police bulletin.

    The following morning, Charles recounted the details of his abduction for Sheriff Berry and the investigators. He said there were two kidnappers, both white males, and provided detailed descriptions. They had kept him under a blanket or blindfolded most of the time and, other than a 10-minute stop at a house to telephone his father with a demand for ransom, they stayed in the car and kept moving throughout the day. Once it got dark, about 5:30 p.m., the kidnappers left Charles in an abandoned brick building on Ruston Way near the Top of the Ocean Restaurant (later destroyed by fire in April 1977), adjacent to Tacoma’s Old Town Dock. They taped his wrists together and his eyes and mouth shut and told him to stay quiet for at least 30 minutes or he would be shot. The kidnappers told Charles to wait there for his father to pick him up. After freeing himself, Charles waited for a half-an-hour or so, then left the building. The area was familiar, so he headed across the railroad tracks, walked up the hill through Old Tacoma to the Stouffer residence and asked to use their telephone to call his parents.

    Seeking the Kidnappers

    Sheriff Berry conceded there were few clues to follow in the kidnapping and, through the news media, asked for help from the public to solve the case. Four people who witnessed the abduction told detectives there were two white males in a white, late-model compact car. One man, who thought the circumstances were suspicious, said the car was a white 1965 Plymouth Valiant four-door sedan. He followed the car for a short distance and jotted down the license plate number, BEM-942. Unfortunately, the license plate had been reported stolen prior to the incident and belonged on a 1955 Pontiac.

    A Western Union clerk reported that a man telephoned their Tacoma office at 2:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 18, wanting to send a telegram to the Hyde residence disclosing where Charles had been released. When the clerk asked for the sender’s name, he abruptly hung up.

    Tilford Baker Turns Himself In

    Late Friday night, on November 19, Tilford Gerald Baker, 34, suffering from paroxysms of regret, confessed to his wife, Anna, that he had abducted young Charles Hyde and hidden most of the ransom money. Then he telephoned his parents, Ollie and Ruby Baker, and told them the same story. After talking things over with his family, Baker decided to seek redemption by turning himself in.

    Baker, accompanied by his step-father, Ollie Baker, and his brother, Ronald, arrived at the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office at 3:45 a.m. on Saturday, November 20, 1965. He told the dispatcher he had information that could help solve the Hyde kidnapping. Baker was referred to Deputy David Larson and his partner, Lowell Johnson, who had been temporarily assigned to the detective division to assist on the Hyde investigation. After hearing his brief confession, Deputy Larson placed Baker under arrest and telephoned Sheriff Berry and Chief Criminal Deputy George V. Janovich with the news. Ironically, detectives had received three substantial leads during night, all pointing to Baker, and planned to pick him up Saturday morning for questioning.

    Sheriff Berry and Chief Janovich rushed to the office to question Baker and obtain a formal confession. In his 22-page statement, Baker, an unemployed carpenter, said he masterminded the kidnapping and implicated two accomplices: Dean Allen Bromley, 20, an unemployed laborer, and James Edward Evans, 31, an unemployed mechanic. Baker conceived the idea while doing carpentry work at the house next door to the Hyde residence, which coincidentally belonged to Charles’s grandparents, Robert H. and Beulah L. Hyde. He sent Bromley and Evans to obtain a car for the abduction from Budget Rent-A-Car at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Bromley attached a set of stolen license plates and drove the kidnap car. Baker snatched Charles off the street and held him captive in the back seat. After obtaining the ransom and freeing Charles, the trio decided to disperse. Evans flew to California to visit his brother in Hayward and gamble at Lake Tahoe Bromley flew to Arkansas with his wife to visit relatives Baker stayed in his house at 337 S 100th Street, Parkland, became remorseful and surrendered himself.

    Baker told Sheriff Berry that most of the ransom money was hidden in a locker at the Santa Fair Lanes, a bowling alley located in the Federal Way Shopping Center, Pacific Highway S (State Route 99) and S 312th Street, and provided him the key. Inside the locker, detectives found a red plaid bowling-ball bag containing $34,360, mostly in bills of small denomination. The split was supposed to be $15,000 apiece, but the kidnappers decided to stash most of the money and divide it later, after the heat died down. Baker had given $6,500 to Bromley and $3,500 to Evans for traveling expenses and spent $640 on new clothes and partying.

    At 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, Baker and an attorney hired by his family, Albert R. Malanca, appeared before Justice Court Judge Elizabeth Shackleford. Pierce County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Schuyler Jerome Witt filed a criminal complaint charging Baker, Bromley, and Evans with first-degree kidnapping. Baker, the father of two children, was described by his attorney as a good family man who came from a nice family and had never been in trouble. Judge Shackleford initially set bail at $25,000 but, because kidnapping is a capital crime, raised it later to $50,000 at the prosecutor’s request.

    Evans and Bromley

    When Assistant U.S. Attorney Charles W. Billinghurst learned that James Evans and Dean Bromley had fled the state, he filed federal fugitive warrants with U.S. Commissioner Robert E. Cooper, charging unlawful flight to avoid prosecution. Now there was federal jurisdiction, and the FBI could officially act. At 8:00 p.m. on Saturday night, FBI agents arrested Dean A. Bromley in a tavern in McCrory, Arkansas. He was with his pregnant, 17-year-old wife, Pauline, and in possession of $5,532. At his initial appearance in Little Rock, U.S. Commissioner John E. Coats set Bromley’s bail at $100,000 and ordered him held in the Polaski County jail until extradition papers arrived from the Pierce County Prosecutor’s office in Tacoma.

    Coincidentally, on Saturday evening, Detective Captain Ernest Keck, Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, received a telephone call at home from James E. Evans, who said he was at Lake Tahoe, had heard the police were looking for him, and offered to return to Tacoma and surrender. Evans, who had left his pregnant wife, Dovie Jane, and four children in Tacoma, promised to notify Captain Keck as soon as he arrived.

    At 1:45 a.m., on Monday, November 22, 1965, James Evans called Captain Keck, saying he was at his residence at 4524 E “C” Street. Captain Keck and Sheriff Berry took him into custody at 3:00 a.m., along with $2,260 of the ransom money. At his initial appearance in Justice Court, Evans was charged with first-degree kidnapping and Judge Shackleford set bail at $100,000.

    At the Pierce County jail, Evans gave Sheriff Berry a four-page statement, outlining his role in the kidnapping. He said Baker gave him $25 to rent a vehicle for the kidnapping, but he had not been involved in the actual abduction. After receiving $3,500 for travel expenses, Evans flew to California, used $300 to purchase an old car and lost the rest of the missing money gambling in Lake Tahoe casinos. Evans, whose family had been on welfare for seven months, said his motive for participating in the scheme was easy money to pay mounting debts.

    Pierce County Sheriff’s Detective William Regan brought Bromley back from Arkansas late Thursday night, November 25. At his initial appearance in Justice Court on Friday morning, Prosecutor Witt charged him with first-degree kidnapping and Judge Shackleford set bail at $100,000. A preliminary hearing had been set for all three defendants for December 6, but that date was vacated when Pierce County Prosecutor John G. McCutcheon filed the kidnapping case in Superior Court the following Monday. (Guilty pleas are not accepted in capital cases where the death penalty may be imposed.)

    The trial of the three kidnappers commenced on Monday, February 14, 1966, in Pierce County Superior Court, Tacoma, before Judge John D. Cochran. Although the defendants had pleaded not guilty at the arraignment, their attorneys filed motions to change the pleas to not guilty by reason of insanity. The prosecution team consisted of Pierce County Prosecutor McCutcheon, Chief Deputy Prosecutor Witt and Deputy Prosecutor Everett Plumb. Questioning of the prospective jurors revolved around their impressions of the crime gained from the news media and their views about an insanity defense and the death penalty. On Wednesday morning, after two days of questioning, a jury of four women and eight men plus two alternates was selected and sworn in.

    Opening statements and testimony commenced on Wednesday, February 16. The prosecution stated simply that the defendant had kidnapped Charles H. Hyde III for monetary gain, were caught and confessed to the crime. They acted rationally and with purpose. The defense attorneys maintained the men were insane at the time of the kidnapping and didn’t know right from wrong.

    The trial testimony lasted two weeks. The prosecution rested its case on Friday afternoon, February 18, after less than three days of direct testimony. By lottery, Tilford Baker had been selected to present his case first, followed by James Evans and then Dean Bromley.

    The defense called Baker’s stepfather who testified about Tilford’s troubled childhood. Two expert witnesses, one psychiatrist and one psychologist, testified that Tilford was a psychotic schizophrenic, couldn’t tell right from wrong, and could have organic brain damage. Then Baker took the stand and, with his eyes tightly shut and his left hand beating a constant tattoo on the witness box, recounted the details of the kidnapping. When asked on cross examination if he was insane, Baker jumped up and shouted “Absolutely not!”

    Evans did not take the stand to testify in his defense. His attorneys relied exclusively on testimony from family and friends that he was “dumb” and psychiatric testimony that he was a mental defective with an IQ of 65. A psychiatrist testified that although Evans basically knew the difference between right and wrong, he didn’t understand the gravity of the crime. He said Baker had become a father-figure whom Evans was trying to please and he was easily led astray.

    In a surprising turn of events, Bromley changed his plea from “not guilty by reason of insanity” to a simple “not guilty.” Bromley took the stand and testified about his role in the kidnapping, but maintained that Baker, the insane mastermind, and Evans, his faithful companion, forced him to participate. He said that Baker had pulled a gun, terrifying him, and made him drive the kidnap car. On cross-examination, the prosecution pointed out that when Bromley initially confessed to the kidnapping, he never mentioned coercion or a gun. He also told Pierce County Deputy Sheriff Frank A. Peskin that, if not for Baker, it would have been the perfect crime and he should have killed Baker and Evans and taken all the money and gone to Brazil. Bromley had bragged how he planned to go to Eastern State Hospital and, after release, return to Tacoma and commit the perfect crime.

    Closing arguments began on Monday, February 27. In his summation, Prosecutor Witt pointed to the cleverness with which the kidnapping was conceived and executed as proof that none of the defendants was mentally irresponsible and that all knew right from wrong. He ridiculed Baker’s histrionic testimony on the witness stand and asked why Evans fled to California after the kidnapping if he didn’t know he had done something wrong. Witt maintained that Bromley, a convicted burglar, was not afraid of Baker as the defense maintained and had ample opportunities to quit the conspiracy. Witnesses for Baker testified that he was harmless and couldn’t kill animals or bugs, implying that Charles, much less Bromley, was never in any danger. Attorneys for the defense, in their closing argument, maintained the accused were too insane, too stupid or too frightened to be responsible for their actions.

    The trial concluded on Monday afternoon, and the case went to the jury at 5:15 p.m. After electing a foreman and going to dinner, the jury began deliberations at 8:30 p.m. and at 11:05 p.m. Bailiff Conney Nelson told Judge Cochran they had reached a verdict. Court was reconvened and the jury foreman, Ernest L. Fisher, announced that Baker and Bromley were found guilty of first-degree kidnapping, and Evans guilty of a lesser included offense, conspiracy to kidnap. Since the jury did not recommend the death penalty, Baker and Bromley faced mandatory sentences of “not more than life” in prison. (Life sentences in Washington usually run about 13 ½ years although the state parole board may review the prisoner’s sentence after seven-and-a-half years.) For Evans, the maximum sentence for conspiracy to kidnap was 10 years.

    On Monday, March 10, 1966, Judge Cochran sentenced Baker to life and Evans to the maximum 10 years imprisonment. Bromley’s attorney, Robert Ray Briggs, filed a motion for a new trial, which was argued on Tuesday, March 22. The motion was subsequently denied and Bromley was sentenced to life imprisonment. On Thursday, March 24, Attorney Briggs filed an appeal to the Washington State Supreme Court, contesting Judge Cochran’s ruling. Neither Baker nor Evans appealed their sentences. The three prisoners were sent to the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla to begin serving their sentences.

    Bromley's New Trial

    On October 5, 1967, the State Supreme Court set aside Bromley’s conviction and granted him a new trial despite the fact that he had confessed to the kidnapping under oath in open court. The main issue the justices agreed upon was that the trial court had erred by permitting a state psychiatrist to testify in rebuttal that Bromley was not a person who could be easily coerced. Having withdrawn his insanity plea during trial, coercion was his only defense and the psychiatrist’s expert opinion could have unfairly prejudiced the jury.

    Bromley’s second trial commenced on Monday, May 20, 1968, in Pierce County Superior Court, Tacoma, before Judge William L. Brown Jr. The entire trial lasted one week and the result was the same. On Saturday, May 25, after deliberating for six hours, the jury of eight women and four men found Bromley guilty of first-degree kidnapping and voted against the imposing the death penalty. The following day, he was returned to the Washington State Penitentiary to resume serving his mandatory life sentence. On July 12, Bromley appealed again to the Washington State Supreme Court for new trial based on Judge Brown’s admission in the retrial of his confession and incriminating statements, but the justices affirmed the Superior Court ruling on November 20, 1969.

    James E. Evans was paroled from the Washington State Penitentiary in 1970, after serving four years of his 10 year sentence. He died in Seattle on died August 28, 1977, at age 43. Tilford G. Baker and Dean A. Bromley were paroled in 1975, after serving almost 10 years of their “not more than life” sentences. Bromley died in Tacoma on May 1, 1981, at age 35. Tilford Baker spent approximately 10 years on supervised parole, living in the greater Tacoma area, then dropped out of sight.

    Front page, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, November 19, 1965

    1965 Plymouth Valiant four-door sedan

    Courtesy San Francisco Historical Automobile Society

    Aerial view of Ruston Way, Tacoma (Old Town Dock in the center), 2002

    Courtesy US Geological Survey

    Front page, Tacoma News Tribune, February 15, 1966

    Tilford G. Baker, Dean A. Bromley, and James E. Evans at their trial for kidnapping Charles H. Hyde III, Pierce County Superior Court, Tacoma, 1966

    Documenting and preserving the history of Vintage Wheel Catalogs.

    Bellevue, Washington, 98005 justwheels -at- nwlink -dot- com

    Documenting and preserving the history of Vintage Wheel Catalogs.

    Below you will find over 800 wheel catalogs from the past, and over 2,000 Pics. While I do not print every page, upon request, I will assist in helping you aquire any information from my Catalogs. Part #s/Pics/copying, etc. that you are looking for.

    Interested in selling your wheel catalogs? Please contact me through justwheels -at- nwlink -dot- com

    • American Racing (100)
    • Ansen (61)
    • Appliance (50)
    • Astro (27)
    • BBS (56)
    • Billet (18)
    • Boyds (30)
    • Broad (12)
    • Budnik (10)
    • Cal Chrome (23)
    • Calparts (2)
    • Centerline (71)
    • Circle (2)
    • Colorado (11)
    • Cragar (108)
    • Crestline (4)
    • Dayton (10)
    • Dick Cepek (27)
    • Durachrome (10)
    • Eagle (9)
    • Edelbrock (4)
    • Empi (88)
    • Enkei (23)
    • Epic (16)
    • Epsilon (2)
    • Essence (1)
    • E.T. (61)
    • Fenton (66)
    • Foresight (15)
    • Formula (7)
    • Grand Prix (4)
    • Halibrand (52)
    • Hollywood Wheel Disc (5)
    • Hurst (16)
    • Intermarque (1)
    • International Mags (36)
    • Jackman (35)
    • Kelsey (22)
    • Keystone (83)
    • KMC (19)
    • Laguna (2)
    • MHT (7)
    • Mickey Thompson (80)
    • Modern (7)
    • Momo (47)
    • Morbec (3)
    • Motor Rim & Wheel (12)
    • Motor Wheel (25)
    • Mr. Gasket (12)
    • Namsco (3)
    • National Engineering (3)
    • One Hundred Plus (15)
    • Optima (16)
    • Pacer (8)
    • Panasport (8)
    • Panther (5)
    • PBL (6)
    • Penneys (8)
    • Permacast (1)
    • Per Spec (6)
    • Player (2)
    • Prime (9)
    • Progressive (21)
    • Pure (8)
    • Raceline (5)
    • Rader (15)
    • Rader Wheel History (42)
    • Radir (6)
    • Real Wire (3)
    • Rebel (6)
    • Rev (5)
    • Revolution (2)
    • Riken (2)
    • Rocket (89)
    • Ronal (9)
    • Sendel (6)
    • Senter (3)
    • Seral (1)
    • Shelby (64)
    • Superior (36)
    • Tacoma (2)
    • Thrush (22)
    • Tire America (4)
    • Trans American (13)
    • Tru-Spoke (17)
    • Ultra (37)
    • Universal (2)
    • U.S. Mags (17)
    • U.S. Wheel (5)
    • Walker (4)
    • Weld (65)
    • Western (29)
    • Wheel Vintiques (3)
    • Zenith(8)
    • ZZ (5)

    Welcome to Vintage Wheel Catalogs. A website dedicated to preserving the history surrounding Vintage Wheel Catalogs.

    In the early 90’s, I was given my very first wheel catalog. It was a 1969 Fenton wheel catalog. Which I still have today. Opening the catalog, I read every page, looking at every wheel. Looking back now, this was the essential start of my wheel catalog collection.

    At the time, I never considered wheel catalogs collectible or worth anything. I was merely interested in the catalog and the information it held. They had the dates, the names of the wheels, locations, part #’s and so on.

    I was getting my wheel catalogs through friends who worked in the industry and at your local swap meet. I don’t think I ever paid more then $5.00 for a catalog. ( Oh, how times change) Some of the early catalogs now sell for hundreds of dollars. very collectible and sought after.

    Below you will find some routinely asked questions about my website.

    Do you buy wheel catalogs? I do, I am always looking for wheel catalogs I don’t have. If you have a wheel catalog that is not on my website, I am interested in it.

    Do you trade wheel catalogs? Yes, I trade wheel catalogs with collectors all over the country. This is how I get the majority of my wheel catalogs.

    Are you interested in any thing else other than wheel catalogs? Yes, I am always looking for old wheel posters. These were the posters hanging in the windows of wheel and tire shops. TOP DOLLAR PAID FOR YOUR OLD WHEEL POSTERS.

    Can you help identify a wheel? Sure, please send me a pic and any details you know about the wheel and I will see if I can find it in any of my catalogs.

    Do you sell any of your wheel catalogs? I do, I sell my doubles! Which I usually have a stack of about 75. Please E-mail me what catalog you are looking for and I will see if I have it.

    Are you interested in any old Speed Shop Catalogs? Sure. I have a few, Moon, Vic Hubbard, Bell, Honest Charley, Etc. not many though.

    And I am always looking for any wheel related literature to help with research. catalogs, business cards, wheel posters, articles, photos, etc. If you have anything, please get a hold of me.

    I am also looking for an old Hurst wheel can, They use to ship Hurst wheels in a can, would like to find one to use as a display piece.

    And I am always looking for any Empi catalogs and literature that I am missing. Top dollar paid.


    Tacoma se instaló el 10 de marzo de 1943, en virtud de un contrato de la Comisión Marítima (MARCOM), casco MC No. 1421, como lancha patrullera , PG-111 , en Permanente Metals Richmond Shipyard # 4 , Richmond , California fue redesignada fragata de patrulla , PF-3 , el 15 de abril de 1943 y nombrada Tacoma el 5 de mayo de 1943. Tacoma fue lanzada el 7 de julio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. AR Bergersen y comisionado el 6 de noviembre de 1943, con el teniente comandante Adrian F. Werner, USCG , al mando.

    Police Reports

    The Arrest and Criminal History Section, Records Branch, provides police reports and clearances for a small fee. There is a $3 fee for all Accident Reports (PD-10s) fees associated with production of an Incident/Offense Report (PD-251) are temporarily waived. Police clearances are $7. All requests for reports that are submitted by mail require a money order. For details on obtaining these documents, use the links below:

    Individuals must make an appointment through the link below to obtain requests for records in person.

    Free Services

    Domestic violence victims can receive a free copy of their domestic violence report either from the district where the incident occurred, or from police headquarters.

    Update Name or Sex Associated with Person Identification (PDID) Number

    Transgender individuals may request that the name or sex that is associated with their PDID number be updated if they can provide legal documentation (e.g., birth certificate, driver&rsquos license, passport, court order, or government-issued non-driver&rsquos identification card) of their updated gender identity.

    Individuals who request an update to their PDID information should respond in person and provide legal documentation of their name or sex change to:

    MPD Public Documents Section
    MPD Headquarters
    300 Indiana Avenue, NW
    Room 3075
    Washington, DC 20001

    If requestors want confirmation of the update, or information regarding a denial, the requestor should provide the Public Documents Section with their email or mailing address for communication purposes. If the requestor declines to provide email or mailing address information, MPD will still process the requested change.

    Requested changes will be processed within 30 calendar days and the requestor will be notified of the outcome in writing. The notification will either confirm that the requested change has been made or will provide the reason the change cannot occur.

    Crime and Activity Statistics

    Get up-to-date information on homicides, arrests and firearm recoveries in DC.

    Watch the video: Toyota Tacoma 3 Link Solid Axle Swap on 37s MOAB


  1. Pylades

    This is a funny sentence

  2. Lesley

    you were visited simply excellent idea

  3. Senior

    Why does your resource have such a small number?

  4. Bagal

    Sorry that I am interrupting you, I too would like to express your opinion.

  5. Kiganos

    I agree, your thought is brilliant

Write a message